• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ohh, Yeah. Casting pistol bullets on a November morning <pic>

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
The long work weekend left me a bit tired but when I got home from work this morning I decided to cast some bullets for .38/.357 (a 158-gr SWC six cavity mold) and a 9mm (two identical 2-cavity molds dropping 124-gr LRN) and some .45-Colt (another 2-cavity mold) that drops a nice 255-gr wide meplat SWC .

The wheelweight alloy plus extra tin mix was absolutely perfect, and I had really good "fill" in no time (like maybe three "pre"-pours into each mold due to the fact that I pre-heated them off an electric heat element). And I kept the furnace temp hovering "just right" so that I could run multiple molds and not frost the bullets but still keep them dropping free right out of each of the four molds. The bottom pour Lee 4-20 lead furnace didn't drip a single drop, and the flow from it was perfect as you can see from my sprues.

Things happen during some casting sessions that can sometimes be less than desireable.

Today was not one of those days....

Everything came out just about perfect.

Oh... and I was drinking cold ass beer at eight AM out on my front porch while my three dogs kept me company.

Dear Ammo Nerd... You're awesome.

That is all.

I spent my Saturday painting half my bedroom pink (on orders from she who is never wrong) for the baby....

Last edited:
Looks like some fantastic projectiles.

Almost a shame to shoot them.

But not quite.

Really nice looking bullets! It's fun when everything comes together.

A little cold to cast bullets here this morning, 32 degrees.

Thanks, Terry!

It was 36-degrees when I got off work but is was nice and mild at 8:30 AM.... 48-degrees

All joking aside, I am envious of y'all with the set ups to cast. Keep hoping to find a used Lee furnace around here.
Do you coat or plate any of your castings?

Nice looking castings, nitesite. I poured 110 1-oz slugs the other day at work. We have an exhaust system that pulls the fumes out quite nicely (no beer, though). Can't say they were as pretty as yours but I'm still learning the heat settings.

Oh, yeah, I learned that the molds stay VERY HOT long after I'm done pouring. Got my wrist between my long sleeved shirt and glove...another "battle" scar.

Back