• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old ammo anyone?

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
I found this in a jar the other day. It appears to be a .45 acp, with a silver colored case. I imagine it is either steel or aluminum because of shortages at that time.
IMG_20130213_222559_337_zpsca242ae9.jpg

Anyway, post 'em up if you have some!

Only old ammo I have is some old 410. I'm not really sure of the manufacture date since it belonged to my wifes' late grandmother, but most recent production stuff I've seen doesn't have ridges on the brass.

410shells044_zps054dae9a.jpg

As for the odd composition of your bullet, based on the date stamp being during wwII, you're probably right on the shortage of brass.

I have a steel penny that was made in the 40's around here somewhere.

Here is my other really old round. It is a .50 cal round with a purple or black painted tip. Supposedly came from a P-51.
IMG_20130216_234727_385_zpse19a2fd9.jpg

I thought I had another of these laying around, but I cannot find it. I will keep looking and post it up. My Dad has some old Brennekke slugs at hame that are paper hulled. He quit shooting them because they had swelled up and would not chamber.

I found out that the E, C, S on the .45 stood for Evansville Cartridge Company, a division of Sunbeam, the people that make refridgerators. The case is steel, made in 1943 in Evansville, Ohio.
The .50 cal round was made in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1942.

I have some on my window display at work but didn’t have a good camera at work that would focus on the head stamp, I tried to get them on when you first started this.....I'll get them up soon. They are old 30-30 looking rounds , weird calibers

A Mustang? ....that would be awesome! Look at that primer crimp !!

those crimps always reminded me of these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXx0gHuUVEM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAeFvOD7qH4[/youtube]

oli700 said:
I have some on my window display at work but didn’t have a good camera at work that would focus on the head stamp, I tried to get them on when you first started this.....I'll get them up soon. They are old 30-30 looking rounds , weird calibers

A Mustang? ....that would be awesome! Look at that primer crimp !!
You can also scan at high res then blow up, erm, enlarge the image in any photo or design program.

Back