• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OR3GUN Competition Spring Plunger

on the "top" of the tube ,from the threads down about 2" ,parallel to the tube .
The piston is o.k ...it's something inside the chamber that hold's the piston , almost looks like a big lock washer in there might be the cause .

That sounds like your secondary gas system's ring and spring. This assembly only moves when the gas pressure in the system bleeds off extra pressure from loads like slugs, buckshot and heavy birdshot running beyond about 1250 FPS. This scoring indicates that your secondary gas system has a burr on the spring (which looks like a huge lock washer) or the ring itself (seated into the assembly). The damage can also appear from removing and reinstalling the barrel itself for cleaning. If this damage is allowed to continue it will cause the secondary gas system to seal poorly and you will have troubles cycling all loads poorly because of the leak.

If the damage is still minor, a little buffing with some #000 steel wool (or synthetic) will usually smooth off the scoring without undersizing the tube, creating seal problems. I believe there are instructions on here for fixing the burr itself. If the damage is too severe, you will need to talk Mossberg out of a new magazine tube or upgrade to an RCI if you're running an extension anyway.

I think the posting of the issue on this CSP thread had everyone confused as to which end of the gun you were having scoring issues.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

sorry if I used the wrong forum , but I noticed the damage when I was installing a brand new Teflon coated spacer tube . It's a brand spanking new Patrick F. Rhythm with the very long tube. The scoring is deep and I reckon I can fix the burr - but the tube might be too far gone . A real shame since its a brand new never fired gun !

I did a little searching and found out from POOPYPANTS and others what to do about the
Re: Bit by the scratched magazine tube problem !
again -sorry for
any confusion I caused

Last edited:
Since you already have a nice extension tube with your gun, the RCI might be overkill.

http://www.xrailbyrci.com/product-category/rci-xm2be-monotubes/

You wouldn't want to damage an RCI in the same manner with the same root problem. If the scoring is there simply from disassembly/reassembly on an unfired gun, Mossberg should be able to get you a replacement tube. Make sure you get the burr taken care of first and then see how it runs with a cleaned up tube. The blued tubes will show scoring more dramatic than the Boron Nitrided tubes do. Do you have any pictures of the damage?

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Thanks William . It is from just taking the barrel on and off - and I will see if I can get my Lad to take a pix . There was a time when this sort of thing would have me pretty upset , but I am older and wiser now . It's just a gun , and in due time I will get the burr squared away and see to it Mossberg replaces the tube .
I sure am happy with the Spacer Tube you sent me ..., keep up the fine work !

Back