• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pattern testing with new 88 Mossberg 12 gauge

I fired 9 pellet 00 Federal buckshot, 15 pellet 000 Federal Flite Control and 0 Buck ,the Flite Control by far gave the tightest pattern with the Modified choke in my Mossy 88 Field 12 gauge.
The 9 shot gave about a 12 inch spread, the 000 Federal was about 4 inches all 15 in that tight little circular group, that's what I'm using for deer.
What a difference, wasn't expecting that.

Great report. Boy, where/how did you accumulate such hard-to-find Flite Control?

Little known fact: a female engineer at Federal originally came up with the Flite Control wad for turkey loads, and it was so amazing that it morphed into defense and law enforcement.

It is amusing to me how so many people over the years have been totally misguided about shotguns blasting everything to bits, when a complete miss is entirely possible.

I don’t know any of the specifics of patterning a load, only what the few shots I’ve put through my shockwave at the limited distances I find inside my house. But I have watched various videos of shot patterns, penetration tests, etc, and something I noticed in the videos and in my own firing of my assorted shells were pretty much as expected with one exception. Usually the testing fire is at a straight 90 degree angle into the target. Various shot sizes and bullets behaved like one would expect. However, when firing the Aquila mini slugs with their protruding wadcutter profile at an angle of less than 90 degrees, ie, diagonally toward the target, from 15’ away, cut right through 7 layers of 1/2” OSB plywood and an edge of a 2x4 and hit the steel tongue of my utility trailer in the shed and the one slug I was able to recover, while deformed, was still identifiable as a slug. I’ve since gone back to a 50/50 mix of buck and slug in the mag tube for defense work..IMG_3623.jpeg

Back