• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Placing a federal tax on ammunition.

Tom396

.30-06
If the federal government decided to place say a 20% tax on all ammunition sales, it wouldn't be any sort of a Constitutional issue, would it? Obviously, it isn't keeping anyone from bearing arms, just making it more difficult to shoot them.

With this "fiscal cliff" thing right around the corner, I could see where a Republican "compromise" might be to allow a bill to pass that included such a tax. With ammunition sales the way they currently are, they could generate one heck of a lot of revenue that way. Discuss. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Yep, they could tax the heck out of ammuntion. Now deceased Senator Moynihan wanted to do that in the early 90's. His reasoning was have so many guns and they last forever but the citizenry only had ammo to last 3 years or so.

I'm not sure but I think the Pesident can ban and/or increase taxes on imported guns and ammo too. I'll have to look into that.

Tom396 said:
If the federal government decided to place say a 20% tax on all ammunition sales, it wouldn't be any sort of a Constitutional issue, would it? Obviously, it isn't keeping anyone from bearing arms, just making it more difficult to shoot them.

With this "fiscal cliff" thing right around the corner, I could see where a Republican "compromise" might be to allow a bill to pass that included such a tax. With ammunition sales the way they currently are, they could generate one heck of a lot of revenue that way. Discuss. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Sadly, I could see that compromise happening as well. But I could see a lot more people start to reload because of it. Perhaps even making their own bullets and gunpowder from scratch.

I have been looking into the gun powder part, the rest I have down. Making primers are going to be the hard part

Super tough. Back to flint locks or percussion caps at best.
Everyone should have a couple primitive firearms and know how to use them I have a T/C 54 caliber Hawkens and a Ruger Old Army 44, black powder can be made and a percussion cap can be figured out, as long as you don’t lose your trigger finger figuring it out.

I have seen video of a man who took spent centerfire primers, removed the anvil inside, and used a properly sized flat punch to remove the dent and make the cup look like new.

Then he cleaned the inside up, and scraped the white tip chemical off of strike anywhere kitchen matches and put it into the cups with something over it to keep it there (paper disc?).

Then he re-set the anvil and voila! He had "reloaded" primers that actually worked!

So Yep, you can make your own primers.

carbinemike said:
but the citizenry only had ammo to last 3 years or so.

Pfft. :roll:

3 years seems a little low to me.

According to ammoland.com, in just December 2008 alone, the U.S. sold 1,529,635,000 rounds of ammunition. Whether real numbers or estimates, I don't know, but those are the numbers that were quoted.

I think a very good legal argument would be to fall on the 2nd Amendment would naturally include ammunition and components since they in fact do rely on both to work. Infringe on ammunition and firearms are infringed by attrition.

Especially by excess taxation. That's the straw that broke the camels' back in the founding colonies to begin with.

The precedent has also been set that anything that goes against the Constitution, is an unlawful order.

carbinemike wrote: but the citizenry only had ammo to last 3 years or so.

Pfft.

3 years seems a little low to me.

That quote was from a lib Senator in the early 90's that wanted to attack guns through ammo taxes in a quicker manner. I think a lot of people are better prepped now. The AR revolution was just beginning then. I think the Clinton years started showing the agenda they had in mind that BHO is now advancing. The other thing is that if ammo got cut off via whatever means people wouldn't waste it shooting at paper and melons and it would last longer. Other things in a crisis would disappear quickly as Katrina and now Sandy have shown.

Nitesite, welcome back and it never ceases to amaze me what I learn here!

EPA will just increase the taxation on Lead bullets and Lead Components :O

The Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) expressly exempts ammunition from the oversight of the Environmental Protection Agency. However, this exemption is now being challenged by anti-hunting groups in court. Because of this, members of the firearms industry are urging members of Congress to support legislation S.838 and HR 1558 that would clarify Congress' original intent to exempt ammunition.

This is a good summary and the quote above was pulled from it:
http://nssf.org/factsheets/traditional-ammunition.cfm

Looks like the senate is trying to relax lead regulations for hunters in the lame-duck session. From http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012...carcasses-in-first-roll-call-since-september/

Tester’s bill combines 19 measures favorable to outdoorsmen. In addition to dealing with the polar bear hides, it would allow more hunting and fishing on federal lands, let bow hunters cross federal land where hunting isn’t allowed, encourage federal land agencies to cooperate with state and local authorities to maintain shooting ranges, exclude ammunition and tackle from federal environmental laws that regulate lead, boost fish populations and protect animal habitat. A similar bill passed in the House earlier this year.

Jon Tester is a Democrat. The bill was blocked by Republicans to try to keep Tester from winning re-election, again proving that it's all about power and not liberties for both parties.

I think Rossignol summed up my thoughts as well^^^^^^

I posted this in another thread but it bears mentioning again. Regardless of party affiliation a politician in DC has priorities of 1) increase personal wealth and power, 2) increase party wealth and power and somwhere around 1000) is doing the right thing.

carbinemike said:
I posted this in another thread but it bears mentioning again. Regardless of party affiliation a politician in DC has priorities of 1) increase personal wealth and power, 2) increase party wealth and power and somwhere around 1000) is doing the right thing.

Great summary. I know hunting is big in Montana, so it makes sense that a senator from that state would be pro-hunting regardless of party affiliation. You wouldn't get elected (and thus gain power) otherwise. However, it's still disheartening to hear about Republicans blocking a good bill. Shows you why nothing has been done for 4 years: everyone takes their marbles and goes home.

Tom396 said:
If the federal government decided to place say a 20% tax on all ammunition sales
snip
it isn't keeping anyone from bearing arms, just making it more difficult to shoot them.

Federal Government already imposed taxes on certain FIREARMS back in 1934.

The $200 tax for firearms are pretty commonplace today to certain collectors, but a $200 tax in 1934 was basically a tax so high that the common man could not afford them. So effectively, by taxation, ordinary working folks could not own those certain firearms. (reference NFA item)

Just FWIW, in 1934 terms, a $200 tax equals to $3,096.97 today.

Would you like to go out and pay $95 for a stripped lower and have to turn around and pay $3100 to the Gov for the registration/transfer tax?

It's not that different by any stretch of the imagination.

Back