• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pre Pheasant Season 2012

LTB45

.30-06
Rest in Peace
Supporter
Last week my wife gets an email from a friend that we shoot Trap with, Diane.
One of the clubs that she is a member at was doing an early Field Trial for bird dogs.

She knows that I LOVE Pheasnat hunting. and asked if my wife and I would like to shoot.
You see her dog "Bella" is young and she wanted to really concentrate on handling her and not be distracted having to shoot as well.

Well my wife is not a hunter and had no interest in it.
BUT, I on the other hand will always jump at an invite to watch a dog sniff out a bird, especially if I am getting to shoot it. :D

There were at least 30 dogs there and the way the property is, we were up on a hill and the hunting area was about 20 feet lower. This meant that everyone watching had a great view of every hunt from start to finish.

Some real good dogs! Unfortunately I cannot say the same for all of the shooters. Many a bird was pointed and flew off to the sound of a double barrel letting loose with 1 barrel and then the other. :lol:

Diane had paid for Bella to hunt 4 birds.

They place the bird in sort of holder that can be sprung by remote when when the dog points it or the shooter can request that the bird just be put down free in the grass and weeds. They move the trap placement and the free birds all over the placein the high grass, so the dog has to work and the hunter cannot see where the bird is early.

She chose the holder for the first bird. Bella worked hard scouring the field with her nose. Then she pointed! They sprung the trap and the DARN bird never took flight :eek: it just ran. Diane should have released her hold on Bella so she could chase it, but she did not. Luckily the management said that we could have another bird. :D

About 30 minutes later we were up again. Again Diane asks for the holder now in a new location. Bella works the entire field again. Makes a great point. Bird flies and DIES!
Same thing for the next 2 birds. 3 shots 3 Dead birds.

On the 5th bird well actually the 4th since it was a replacement bird. Diane said place it out there free. Now Bella had to prove her stuff. When she pointed it, Diane had to kick it up. When she did the bird ran! Again no flight so no shot. Bella took off in hot pursuit. The bird was hiding but Bella found her hunkered down and pointed again.

As we walked into the weeds, again the bird ran. This time deeper into the woods through the prickers. After 20 minutes Bella had been out of sight (probably on a point) in the thick stuff for long enough. Since we could not follow, Diane blew the whistle and Bella came running back.

It was a great day!
I love shooting things that FLY :lol:

Pic of me with Bella and one of the Roosters we took down.
644528_4177087059729_1278288345_n.jpg

Sounds like an awesome day LTB. Good shooting.

I used to love pheasant hunting but wild ones have become rather scarce here over the years. We have a few farms around but I have not made it out yet. I few friends went last year and I had hoped to go along but couldn't fit it into the schedule.

I do manage to get time in the grouse woods each fall. It's a little challenging without dogs but lots of fun, esp when you run into a nice flock. Occasionhally I'll even run into a few woodcock.

Mike, wild birds in Connecticut are unfortunately a thing of the past, except for Crow.
The state does have a half way decent stocking program for Pheasant but since I dont have a bird dog, hunting them is almost impossible.
I am almost considering trying out my Pitbull. :eek:
He is smart enough, but not sure if he has the nose... :lol:

Most of the gun clubs in the state, that have the acreage have a stocking program that their members take full advantage of.

I know that I would hunt birds EVERY day if I could.
Wingshooting is such a blast!

Back