• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Primitive style wood project

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
My wife has been decorating our house with what she calls "primitive" style decorations, which basically means old timey stuff.

So, she's had me pretty busy this week.

The house we live in was her Dad's old house and essentially the one she grew up in. It was built in 1953 and it has much of the same charm as it always has. There are even still 2 archway doors that were made by steaming wood to get the bends in the living room

Anyway, many of the original wooden doors had been changed over the years except the two in my Den, which I plan to keep because I like them. It reminds me of my Grandmothers house.

When she inherited the house, we remodeled quite a bit of it, and we boxed in one door that was in her late brothers room when we made our master bathroom, but I had kept it for spare parts for the other 2 remaining doors

To make a long story a little shorter, she had found a picture on the internet where someone had taken a door and made a corner shelf out of it and she just had to have it. And she didn't just want any door, she wanted her brothers door.

So, here it is before I modified anything.
jt basketball game 042.JPG

While cutting off the back half of the door handle so it will sit flush against the wall when finished, and putting a screw in to hinge to keep them in place, but not coming unfolded again. Just to say it, you can still turn the door knob and the latch still moves ;)
jt basketball game 045.JPG

And after I cut the door, made and painted the shelves antique white for some contrast and drilled the holes for the shelf brackets and put it in the corner of the living room.

BTW, all the artwork on the plates was done by my wife and youngest son.

kennys corner shelf.jpg
kennys door 003.JPG

You could hinge the unit off the wall, and the door knob will let you into the secret lair.

I guess that would be another thing

LOL

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I can't take credit for coming up with the idea, but it turned out pretty good considering all I had to go by was a picture.

But we already had the door, so really, all I have in it is an 8' piece of pine shelving, some paint, and a few shelf brackets, and a little time, so that's better than going out and buying a shelf.

I was going to add some decorative trim horizontally to the front of the shelves to give them a thicker appearance but she said that wasn't what she had in mind, so you guys know how the saying goes: "If Momma is happy...

So I just showed my wife this...she loves it.
Now I have to make a microwave cart using old doors...thanks John...:rolleyes:

Nice project man. Very cool....

It took me a second to figure out how you're talking, but I get it. You're going to make a square out of a door instead of a 2 sided V and build a top for it.

Or are you going to use the door pieces for the sides and front that you would see while using a piece of plywood for the back that would go against the wall since you wouldn't ever see it anyway and use the 4th piece of the door as a top?

If you have a router and 15 minutes, would be easy to make one of these too. But I doubt your wife would want it in the kitchen unless you disguised the other side as a chopping block ;)

Great use of an old door John.

I like the mag loader as well, going to have to bookmark that one.

Back