• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Primos Truth Cam Blackout

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I really needed some newer cameras and wanted something that was not obvious in the woods because theft is a big issue where I hunt. I picked up two of these and the metal boxes to go with them (I'll post the review of the metal box in another thread)

Blackout_001_zpsb5e0d01a.jpg

The included strap is very long and includes a quick release buckle making it quick to take down or move. It can be cinched down quite tight to keep the camera stable on the tree, etc.

Blackout_002_zpsd6396745.jpg
Blackout_004_zps03a095b0.jpg

The setup is very east and straight forward. Aside from setting the date and time, it is all controlled via a combination of switches that can be easily changed and adjusted in low light without having to navigate through a menu system.

I also really like that the camera portion is protected. Opening the unit to change setting or replace batteries does not expose the camera lens to moisture etc. This was an issue for me with other units esp if opening them up in the rain, snow etc, condensation would always build up between the cover and the lens.

Power is provided via 4 D sized batteries or via an external connection.

Blackout_003_zps9a2a4ab8.jpg

The SD card slot and external power connection are at the bottom of the unit. and sealed with rubber covers. While the SD slot is external, it is somewhat blocked by the cover.

Sorry for the cheesy pics put I just set it in my garage to try and capture some samples. it's in the field now; I will update the thread with better pics when I pull the card.

PRMS0008_zps28becbbd.jpg

IR flash is truly hidden, I did not notice any discernible light coming from the camera so it holds true to it's name.

PRMS0012_zpse28d2769.jpg

The color quality and depth of field are pretty good. Better than the other older cams I have.

Quick vid (not me in the video). Decent quality. No time stamp is visible in video mode.

So far I'm happy with it. The model is a couple years old so it is not quite as small as some of the newer cams out there but at a sub $80 (not including metal case) price tag it seems to be a good bargain for a blackout cam. Not the fastest trigger time but not bad either. I'll have a better idea on this and the trigger distance when i pull the card.

Hopefully just this tidbit of info will help someone. If you have any questions let me know.

I believe if I get a deer this year that I will be upgrading my cameras next year.

These Hunten camera's are not all that great. One takes 3 to 1 pictures the other one does (sensitivity ?) and I'm having to swap them out regularly back and forth.

Mostly because they have a couple watch batteries inside (non removable) that keeps its' programming when you replace the primary batteries so you don't have to reprogram all the settings and when the cameras act up, you have to unhook them from the main power source until the internal batt's are dead (which takes a couple weeks), then the camera resets itself and starts working alright again.

The good one, takes spells where it flashes every minute whether something is in front of it or not. I thought it may have been a bug or something setting it off, but am not sure.

The other one, takes spells where the battery indicator will show 4 bars (full) one day and the next morning is dead as a hammer. Which is kind of strange because not only using a large 6v rechargeable lantern battery on it, I also have an oversize 7v solar charger hooked to it. I do know it wont' recharge at night obviously, but I don't know what causes the quick discharge on the battery sometimes either.

So I am interested in seeing how good your new camera works out for you.

Im curious how well they work as well. Ive only ever had one cam last for more than 2 seasons and that was a cheap white flash Moultrie.

Maybe its because I buy older lower priced models or maybe its why buy them. Im not sure. LOL

Back