• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Receiver Refinish

ram229

I have a chance to get a 500 in a trade and am thinking about having the receiver sent out to be refinished. I was thinking maybe NP3 or maybe a cerakote type finish. I am curious if anyone has had this down on a 500 or 930 even to let me know how it has held up.

The 500 receiver is anodized aluminum.

I'm not sure what np3 actually is or the processes behind it whether it is a type of plating or not, but cerakote will definately work.

RAM,
Like John has said I rather have the cerakote. I have had NP3 coated gun parts, and if the part was not perfectly smooth, it would show tooling marks every where. The coating is nice but I would rather have cerakote. Hope that helped.

John A. said:
The 500 receiver is anodized aluminum.

I'm not sure what np3 actually is or the processes behind it whether it is a type of plating or not, but cerakote will definately work.

NP3 is a teflon infused electroless nickel plating...

NP3 finish is an electroless nickel-based finish for steel, stainless steel and aluminum alloys that co-deposits sub-micron particles of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), otherwise known as Teflon, with electroless nickel.

NP3 metal finish offers many benefits. NP3 permits firing for longer periods of time between cleaning, dirt and powder residue have no wet or oily surface to cling to. When cleaning is required, the effort needed is minimal - usually requiring only a soft cloth.

NP3 is very corrosion resistant. It provides a high lubricity and low friction co-efficient, greatly increasing the life expectancy of a firearm due to reduced friction wear. NP3 is a satin gray, non-reflective color ideal for all firearms.

NP3 can be plated to all internal parts giving smoothness to the action not found with any other coating. In cases where the NP3 has been perforated, the corrosion shows no tendency to spread or migrate under the coating.

Im not exactly sure what it is, but this is what Google told me.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Thanks. I will look into the many Cerakote type of refinished I guess. Some seem to be way overpriced compared to others. I am looking maybe to go with a darker gray. I don't have the equipment or know how to do it myself so it will have to be sent out.

Cerekote is pretty easy to do yourself as long as you have some type of spray gun.

I did my 835 last year and it's held up well. I just used a pig roaster (la caja china style) to bake it so it would not stink up the house. They also have a version that does not need to be baked to cure.

I was thinking the NP3 was a type of plating, and my point was that I am unsure how it would work on aluminum. Especially aluminum that has already been anodized.

But an airbrush and air compressor and means of baking it for a while is all that is needed.

While I've never specifically done cerakote, I've done a lot of norrells moly, which I really like.

Back