• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil of 00 Buck (LE) vs 7.5 birdshot

I couldn't feel any difference in recoil between 00 Buck (law enforcement low-recoil Remingtons and Federals) and 7.5 birdshot (Remingtons) when we fired our Chainsaw at the range. Both gave a smooth but firm "push" rather than the sharp "jab" of rifles I've shot (e.g., the M-14 forty-some years ago).

We have the Knoxx Breacher's Grip, so maybe it evened the two out, but I'm wondering:
- Is there usually a felt difference between these two loads?

DocNugent said:
I couldn't feel any difference in recoil between 00 Buck (law enforcement low-recoil Remingtons and Federals) and 7.5 birdshot (Remingtons) - Is there usually a felt difference between these two loads?
the slight edge in recoil goes to the 00

DocNugent said:
We have the Knoxx Breacher's Grip
well there's your problem perceiving recoil

I'm gonna agree with the edge goin to 00 buck typically, but there are many birdshot loads with a muzzle velocity equal to or greater than LE 00 loads.

Some changes such as the grip you have, can very effectively change perceived recoil, while the recoil itself is unchanged altogether. Folks will often accomplish this by changing grip and stance, or the stock entirely...

Doc~

Good question. Let's eliminate very very slight variables such as the wad design and the powder burn speed and backboring a barrel which might have a tiny influence of ft-lb or recoil.

And for the sake of illustration let's stay strictly with your particular shotgun instead of comparing loads from two separate guns.

If a 1-ounce load of buckshot is advertized at XXXX-feet-per-second, and a 1-ounce of any size birdshot is advertised at the same (or nearly identical) velocity, then your felt or perceived recoil will be virtually the same from the same gun.

IOW, just because it's a slug or buckshot doesn't mean there has to me an automatic increase in heavier recoil. It has everything to do with the weight and velocity of the payload.

nitesite said:
. . . If a 1-ounce load of buckshot is advertized at XXXX-feet-per-second, and a 1-ounce of any size birdshot is advertised at the same (or nearly identical) velocity, then your felt or perceived recoil will be virtually the same from the same gun. . . .
Sounds like the IDPA PowerFactor formula (PF = bul.wt. x muz.vel.). The particulars of the two shells I fired were:
Rem. Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil 00: 1.0 oz @ 1200 f/s = "PF" of 1200
Rem. Gun Club Target Load 7.5: 1.125 oz @ 1145 f/s = "PF' of 1288

In other words, not much difference, but the 7.5 birdshot actually had a little more kick than the reduced recoil 00 buck (not enough difference for me to feel, though).

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Back