• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recomended Amo for the range and home defense

Chris1964

Copper BB
Ive read a couple horror stories about Fiocchi and possibly winchester super-x 12G 2 3/4 ammo. Any suggestions for both range shooting and home defense ?.

I broke my 930 in with 25 rounds of high brass #6 loads and 10 rounds of 00 buck and 10 slugs.

After she loosened up I went to the 100 value pack of Winchester or federal bird shot #7 for $25 per pack.

It's cheaper to shoot the bird shot than anything else so thats my main ammo for the range.

For home defense I use 00 buck (hornady tap low recoil) and federal slugs (low recoil) in my side saddle. But you will need to pattern different types of ammo to see what groups the best for your gun. Every shotty patterns differently.

Here's my venture in patterning:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3946&start=0

I rather agree with WaterMonkey!

It really comes down to what range, (the longest possible shot in your house) you may have to make a shot should there ever be a threat.

Best answer I can give to your question, buy a few or several brands/types of 00buck and pattern each of those at your specific distances. While something like Winchester Super X may totally suck at any range beyond 7 yards, if your longest shot is less than 5 yards, it may work well for you if you can get pellets on target...

Youre also gonna have to decide what kind of pattern is acceptable to you and that will depend on your specific enviroment. Ideally, I want every pellet accounted for on target, like within an area the size of my fist. Winchester and Remington bulk packs dont do this for me, though at 5 yards, almost everything makes a single hole about an inch in diameter... almost. Winchester Super X had a discernible pattern beginning at 5 yards. Something that hurts the Winchester is a lack of any real shotcup, and the "military grade" Winchester in the green hull, is actually the same design as the Super X. Winchester Ranger low recoil and WinLite both seem to do better, I think by virtue of being low recoil alone.

My favorites to keep on hand are the Federal LE132 00 FliteControl which is a very "precise" (to borrow from NiteSites description) load of 00. For shorter ranges, in fact ranges/distances considered to be most common for HD/SD, it may be too tight. I've had results with the low recoil FliteControl in which the payload and shot wad (still together) acted more like a slug out to nearly 25 yards.

IMO, with a super tight patterning load like that, the advantages of the individual .30 cal pellets may be somewhat lost. Data seems to imply advantage is gained by some spread of the pellets with each causing trauma and overall affecting a larger area.

For that reason, I also have on hand Hornady TAP light magnums with VersaTite (same as FliteControl) and Hornady Critical Defense, also with VersaTite. I've patterned both of these as well and am happy with the patterns out to 15 yards.

I couldnt speak of the other you mentioned specifically.

Slugs are an option aslo, though not my first choice. There are a couple other here who could explain the advatages and disadvantages of slugs far better than I could.

My best recommendation, buy anything you think you wanna try and get enough to pattern at a few different distances, like maybe 5, 10, and 15 yards, or whatever will work for you.

Now, if you just want somethin to use at the range, just about any birdshot or target load wil work, though I hear to leave the Winchester 100 round bulk pack alone. But heck, why not get some of the less expensive 00 and slugs and do some plinkin with those? ;)

Oh yeah! You can find more info on most all the loads mentioned in the ammo section! You can search the site too if need be!

Rossignol as always great post. But I have to say my 930 eats up that winchester ammo like tictacs. Well my 930 eats anything really even 1200 fps loads.

Got a bulk order of the full power federal tactical truball slugs and I'm going to group them this Saturday against the remmy slugs.

I think the issues ive heard of with the winchester bulk ("Universal") loads, had more to do with some weird failures.

WaterMonkey, have you tried cycling any of the low recoil stuff that is in the area of 1145 fps?

Rossignol said:
I think the issues ive heard of with the winchester bulk ("Universal") loads, had more to do with some weird failures.

WaterMonkey, have you tried cycling any of the low recoil stuff that is in the area of 1145 fps?

No I haven't. Not by choice I've just grabbed what's on sale at Walmart which the lowest fps was 1200 federal loads at one time.

I recently purchased a case (250 shells) of Remington Game Loads for the range. I got them for $70 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Although just a little more pricey than Wally World bulk pack Feds or Winnys, I know these are going to perform flawlessly in this gun every time. They are also black so that means they are tactical range loads lol :lol:

2 3/4" Length
1290 Velocity FPS
1 oz.
7 1/2 GL 127

Hammer

00 buckshot IMO. Good spread and has low wall penetration. Remember, you are responsible if anything goes through your wall and into the neighbors. :oops:

Sorry let me clarify, because my statement is based on a baseline that needs to be explained:

1. When compared to 9mm, 45 acp, .223, the 00 buckshot has lower wall penetration.
2. When compared to Slug rounds, the 00 buckshot for sure has much lower wall penetration.
3. When compared to birdshots (#4, #6, #8, etc), the 00 buckshot has higher wall penetration. However, the stopping power is not enough to justify birdshots as a defensive load. Hence why I didn't assume this round as a baseline.

My baseline is based on popular home defense ammo comparisons and I feel the 00 buckshot has the best balance for stopping power and lower wall penetration.

Fair enough thanks for the clarification. Based on your examples I can see where you are coming from. However 00 buck does and will penetrate through walls. If you are concerned with wall penetration take a look at the specs on #4 buckshot as it has stopping power and less wall penetration properties.

I live in an apartment however I did an assessment and the highest probability area I would fire in are not in the areas where others live. So 00 buck fits my needs.

I suppose by that reasoning 00 may have low wall penetration, but... I dont want anyone to get the impression 00 buck wont go through a wall. It absolutely will go through walls.

This is why patterning is so vitally important. Youve got to know how the load youve chosen to keep on hand will pattern at a given range, at whatever range you may need it. Youve already mentioned bein responsible for every projectile that leaves the muzzle of your firearm. This is exactly why to me, I want every pellet in an area the size of my fist or less. The other side of the coin, is to practice and practice and practice. There is no surrogate for practice and knowin exactly how to hold your bead on target to hit what you intend to.

Zeusmotorworks said:
Late reply... all purpose for Average Joe and his threat needs: LE132-1B

Not sure I follow Zeus? I understand the load you mention, just not your statement.

Quick statement based on average LEO engagement ranges (civilian being "similar") and people's comments about the possibility of collateral damage. The LE132-1B round is #1 buck (for those that don't know), is a "low recoil" Federal round that patterns well in most smooth bores with the help of the Flight Control wad. IIRC it was suggested as the preferred LEO loading by Dr. Gary Roberts (worked with Dr. Fackler and known "expert" in his own right). His results were a consistent 14-18 inches of penetration in ordnance gel by all 15 pellets in the load. Again, IIRC he stated that it would be the preferred load for BOTH LE and home defense. I can see no fault in his findings. Sorry off to get the Wife more sidearm ammo, me more Pmags, and hopefully GTs will have more LE132-1B in stock for her 930 SPX.

Oh, to be clear, "Average Joe" defending his/her self should not be (in 99.9% of cases) firing a shotgun in self defense at ranges where this round should pattern poorly was my point. Then again, I don't think people realize how close and personal things are when "bad things happen"... most LEOs don't either. I'm careful to say 99.9% and "should" as always is never, and never is anything but always.

Back