• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Re: Someone sell me... (Yeah, I'm sold)

AK do your cheeks hurt?

From that frozen smile on your face. :D

old mossy said:
AK do your cheeks hurt?

My shoulder feels a little tender, but my cheeks are fine... You see, I was shooting scar face style from the hip as I was laughing with an evil smile :twisted:

aksavanaman said:
old mossy said:
AK do your cheeks hurt?

My shoulder feels a little tender, but my cheeks are fine... You see, I was shooting scar face style from the hip as I was laughing with an evil smile :twisted:

I meant from that frozen smile on your face. :D

old mossy said:
aksavanaman said:
old mossy said:
AK do your cheeks hurt?

I meant from that frozen smile on your face. :D

Sorry... Didn't see the second line there.... (my iPad doesn't like showing everything sometimes). So in that case yes...my face definitely got a workout... I didn't even other taking the dowel out... So I was stuck with reloading every 3 shots :lol:

Congrats,glad to see you got a good shotty right outa the box. :D

glad you like your new gun sounds like you had a ton of fun at the range

that is a sharp looking gun btw

Noticed today that the forend of this model is already beveled to facilitate easier loading. While looking at videos and other reviews that was one of the major modifications to make. Must be something they changed after hearing complaints. We'll see how the lifter performs, so far it hasn't grabbed my finger yet.

But now I've got wood envy :( there's just something about it... who wants to trade? Or I could just order from Mossberg directly... but, that's not at the top of my list currently.

AK, that shotgun will look effin' AWESOME with the 5-shot extension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so pleased that it's running flawlessly.

Re: It ate it all without a hiccup

The only issue my 930 ever had a problem with was Centurion. It jammed up on almost every round. The hulls were crimped really sloppy, bulges, etc. Garbage ammunition in general. It was so bad that it locked up even in my 870 though. Not the 930 or 870's fault.

nitesite said:
AK, that shotgun will look effin' AWESOME with the 5-shot extension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so pleased that it's running flawlessly.

Now imagine a 5 shot extension and a "Burnt Walnut" stock (much like what came to you) :cool: It would certainly be a unique 930! Just stay tuned!

Re: It ate it all without a hiccup

That's right, another success story for the 930!

Re: Round count poll

IMG_20130924_175810_995.jpg

1180 ROUNDS TROUBLE FREE.

Never saw this thread til now. I have probably around 500 through mine give or take, I really don't keep count. Not as many as I would like but I keep bouncing around from gun to gun so the rounds do not add up as fast for each one.

I don't have an exact count, but 1500-2000 is a best guess considering how many times I've taken my 930 out to hunt, shoot trap and skeet and 3gun and just general range time. I have never had an issue with the stock mag tube configuration. My only reliability issues have come from adding a Nordic +3, which makes the spring incredibly tight when the tube is full, and it won't generally hand rack the first round, but will feed the next round after I fire it. I have tried to smooth out the round stop, but I think I may have to start clipping little bits of the spring off until I can get it just right, because the other end of the issue is feeding the last round completely. That is a process that is going to be very tedious to load and unload the mag every time, so I've been putting it off as long as it will cycle and shoot.

I generally leave the tube fully loaded to compress the spring a little bit, which seems to be ok.

Some eye candy.

With all the accessories she'll get - I think they have made it easier on me to shoot (love the 3dot sights) and more comfortable (C-rums lift gate mod is worth twice the money in thumb pinches).

This is zeroing the Hi-Viz sights on a 24" non-port barrel with Rem reduced recoil 1oz rifled slugs. No issue cycling, and you can see that accuracy is pretty good at 50 yds.

Attachments

• 20131011_082116.jpg
    20131011_082116.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20130830_193443a.jpg
    20130830_193443a.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 70
What do you think

I am looking at purchasing an auto loader, I currently have a mavrick 88 12 ga. I saw one at the LGS for a really good price just wondered what you all thought of the shotgun? This will be used for hunting, home defence etc. an all around gun. Thanks

Re: What do you think

While there have been some issues with the 930, mostly surrounding the SPX version (canted sights, scratched magazine tubes), I've not had anything major with my waterfowl model.

They do need to be cleaned out really good when you get it to get all the packing grease out of it. it can cause problems, esp. when it gets cold (learned this from experience).

I love my 930. I've shot all kinds of loads from light target to 3" turkey without any feed/ejection issues. It has been much more reliable than the 11-87 I owned years ago (and paid a lot more for).

For my money it is an outstanding gun and I would not hesitate to buy another.

Edit: While it has been documented in other threads, I will list the few issues I had had just so I won't sound too biased:

* The gun jammed up on me and became a single shot the first time I used it while shooting skeet in the cold. Once I gave it a thorough cleaning it has run fine ever since. The cold weather caused the packing greawe to thicken and prevented the gun from cycling properly

* I replaced the charging handle with an aftermarket one, Nordic Components, and at a recent trip to the range the handle came out. it had never happened before and has not happened in subsequent shooting. It may have snagged on my clothes as we finally found it at location between where I was shooting and where I was loading up.

* The security barrel I put on it shoots very high. I have to hide the bead blow the receiver when aiming to hit a plate at any yardage I have shot it at.

The 930 has, for me, a combination of great attributes - availability of accessories, functionality and cost. They are very dirty coming from the factory and need a very deep cleaning. They will need a little troubleshooting, especially, I think, with the mag tube and the cycling. It does have a break in period to get all the wear surfaces aligned. But the ability to go from an 18.5" to a 20, 22, 24, and 28 inch barrel in a very short time is excellent. You can do everything with this shotgun.

I am loving my 930!

To echo what other people have said:

1) Clean it when you get it. Mine had no grease, but was bone dry.
2) Watch your loads and you will be ok. Mine likes everything from medium light target loads to 3" magnums.

I have close to 1k rounds through mine, and have had 2 stoppages.

My neighbor has a 930 Waterfowl. He let me shoot it at the trap field. I am just not sold on the ported barrels. If they are supposed to decrease felt recoil, that gun must hit like Mike Tyson without them

Back