• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Return It Or Not?

G8R8U2

I just picked up a new Patriot in .375 Ruger with the synthetic stock and marinecote finish from my local FFL. As I looked the rifle over I noticed some tool mark gouges in the bottom of the channel in the receiver where the bolt slides in. They're not actually from the bolt assembly because nothing touches the bottom of that channel.

I accepted the transfer because it has been extremely difficult to even get my hands on one of these, and the retailer I got it from is again out of stock; as is everyone else apparently.

Anyway, to be fair the marks are mostly cosmetic; on the other hand, the marks are MOSTLY cosmetic... they are deep enough that the shiny steel is showing through, so that area isn't covered by the marinecote and this rifle will see inclement weather, in addition to a lot of humidity.

I called Mossberg and asked them if they just had like a touch-up tube or bottle of marinecote they could send me and we'd save all the time and cost of a return and repair. They said they do not, and would have to fix that in house; they've sent me a label and turnaround should be 15-20 days.

I'm torn about whether or not to even bother with it; honestly, it did put kind of a damper on all the excitement of getting a new rifle, even though over time there will certainly me more dings and scratches... you just don't expect to see that right out of the box.

Suggestions?

It sucks but it does happen. I once had an brand new out of the box 11-87 break on me the first time I shot it, 6 hours from my house on a hunting trip with no backup.

I would send it in. The machine marks would not bother me but the potential rust spot where the finish is missing would. If they are willing to fix it I would send it in.

Th
It sucks but it does happen. I once had an brand new out of the box 11-87 break on me the first time I shot it, 6 hours from my house on a hunting trip with no backup.

I would send it in. The machine marks would not bother me but the potential rust spot where the finish is missing would. If they are willing to fix it I would send it in.
Thanks for the response; that was my thinking, too. I've actually looked at a few aftermarket coatings like Cerakote and DuraCoat, thinking maybe someone could send me a sample for such a small spot that closely matches the marinecote.

I've got a 930 SPX too, but I've never actually had to send it in; so I'm not familiar with their turnaround time. When they say 15-20 days, does that mean 15-20 days or a month or 2?

I used Cerekote, the bake on kind, and it works well, just a lot of prep work and additional piece needed (i.e. paint gun, oven, sand blaster to remove the old finish, etc.).

Not sure on turnaround times.

I talked to Joseph Zakher and he said they'd be happy to fix it; but that if I chose not to go to the trouble I shouldn't worry anyway. He said the marinecote treatment goes deeper than those scratches in the first place.

Seems the coatings companies have quit sending out samples; so I might just put a dab of silver automotive touch-up paint (it already has a clearcoat additive in it) over the small marks... the area is smaller than a pencil eraser head and doesn't contact any other parts, so no issues there.

I'm just not very enthusiastic about them having to take the rifle completely apart, replace that portion of it, and then reassemble it; might end up with worse issues by the time it was all said and done. JZ said to tell everyone Hi, btw; he was very helpful.

If you're not happy about it now, you'll not be happy with it later on. If it were me, I would return it immediately rather than have regret later. In reality, what is 6 weeks in the big scheme? On the other hand, if you don't mind, then let it go and enjoy.

After all, it's just a tool and is meant to be used! Think patina!

$.02............. keep the change.:)

Doc

Back