• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RUH-ROH ~ NBC Olympic gaffe

I saw the video of that this morning.

Just waiting to see how many will play the race card and try to make it more than what it was. ...And I sincerly hope that it was was a unfortunate coincidence.

MikeD said:
I saw the video of that this morning.

Just waiting to see how many will play the race card and try to make it more than what it was. ...And I sincerly hope that it was was a unfortunate coincidence.

Of course it was a coincidence. The guys in the truck and the team back at 30 Rock would have had no idea what Bob Costas was about to say as he took them to commercial. Costas is a consummate professional but even he would have had zero knowledge of what ad was queued up when they cut to a break.

It's really not funny on its face value; nobody would claim that it is. But it's sort of amusing just imagining that they knew they had effed up the minute somebody with half a brain put two and two together and realized that they couldn't take it back. ;)

NBC has terrific Olympics coverage (other than the delayed medal performances which are necessary for Americans to see the big events) that really cannot be beat.

I hadn't had time to investigate it much furthur I didn't know if it was a live feed they were splicing in or a pre-recorded segment. Being a live feed, there was no way they could have saw what was coming.

Just a bad coincidence.

As a side with nothing to offer that is germane to the topic, I never did care for Bob Costas. he always comes off as a bit arrogant to me.

This comment left below that article pretty much sums it

Yeah, I'm American-American and it didn't phase me either. I mean, why should anybody be offended by a cute commercial with a monkey doing gymnastics just because it followed the piece on Douglas winning gold. The people offended reflect their own insecurities. As has been noted, that particular ad was going to run in that time slot no matter who won. It's only offensive if for some reason you actually associate African Americans with monkeys, in which case you have your own set of issues that you need to deal with.

I watched that happen in real time and did notice it. I thought it was a bad choice of words from Costa anyway. Much to do about nothing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Found this one.
Horrible audio.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QoVgZfWfhU[/youtube]

I couldn't help but think when I first saw this video of Costas (even before I saw the rather unfortunate advertisement with the monkey) that my immdiate reaction was WTF did he have to say "African American" girls? I wrote in my earlier posts that Costas is a professional and does a tremendous job covering sports but this was one dumb moment when you combine his wording and the TV commercial the guys in the truck had ready for airing.

Back