• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sabot slugs ???

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I just bought a new (to me) rifled slug barrel that I plan on putting on my 835.

The number of rounds out there are a bit overwhelming, what have you good people of MO had good luck with? I prefer to stick with 2 3/4" slugs.

I know every barrel patterns different but I'm just looking for a starting point of rounds that have worked well for others.

My instinct is to stick with Brenneke as I have always has the best of luck with them out of my smoothbore barrels. I've heard good stuff about the Hornady SST's as well.

I used the Honady SST's in it, I would have discreetly added a box if I knew you wanted some :)

Shoten said:
I used the Honady SST's in it, I would have discreetly added a box if I knew you wanted some :)

Good to know, what king of groups were you getting with them?

I shoot the SST bullets out of my muzzleloader and am happy with the groups. I tried a few out of my 20g with just a rifled choke tube and they keyholed at 50 yards, the choke tube was not enough to get them stable. I've never heard anything bad about them....aside from the price. LOL

I sighted in my 24" rifled slug barrel and scope with the Hornaday SST's in 2 3/4". I got about a three inch spread at my range of 75 yards. My step son swears by the SST's in 12 and 20 ga also. He's done very well with them.

umy2agyh.jpg

50 yard, sight in day ( about a week before you Pm'd me)...

I am using Remington Accutip sabot slugs in my M500 with rifled barrel and I can not say any bad word of it talking about grouping and stopping power in wild boar driven hunts.
If you need extra power use the magnum versión.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384338680788.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384338680788.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 170
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384338716073.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384338716073.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 169
I am a total Lightfield fanboy. I only shoot them for sabot slugs. They are pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone

This wild boar was downed with a shotgun with Remington accutip shooting from 4 yards.The second round shooted ,Sauvestre slug,was founded in several small pieces at shoulder bone.Accutip get total penetration.About 250 pounds.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391408496273.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391408496273.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 54
Fantastic picture selous.

My only experience with Hornady SST was in 6.8 spc.

While it went at a slight angle through the vitals, it was found just under a lump in the hide under the far side in a clump of fragments.

It did the job and anchored it where it stood and the vitals were slush, but failed at total penetration. This was only about a 30 yard shot.

Honestly, I expected more penetration at that distance and a lot less fragmenting supposedly being a bonded bullet.

Back