• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Saturday Shotgun Shoot

nasa

.270 WIN
I was already hot and sweaty from doing some much needed mowing and yard work, came in to get a drink when I saw I had missed a couple of calls. Both were from someone at work. What's the deal? I'm on vacation for the next several days. One was asking if he could come over and shoot on my range.

I already had the shotguns out when he got here and right off the bat he offered to buy my ATI Top Folding Stock. I had already decided to sell it anyway and the money was fair so in about 5 minutes the stocks between the 2 Maverick 88's were swapped and I had a few more green backs in my pocket.

Perfect time to swap the 3-9x40 scope on the 835 with the quick point and put the scope on the 88. The sun was bright but I was determined to bore sight in both the quick point and the scope. I had been thinking of doing this for a while and had acquired some reflective tape. I don't have a shooting bench set up yet so using the bi-pods and a 55 gallon drum set up at 75 yards. With the reflective tape it was no problem getting sighted. Both the 88 and the 835 sighted in dead on target.

With the Choate +5 extension on the 835 it didn't take very long to burn through a lot of ammo, about 200 rounds for me. After firing about 3 rounds, I got out the ear plugs from the Power-Pac on my Knoxx, giving him one set and used the other for myself.

For targets I had a couple of wooden pallets, heavy duty in good shape and used a staple gun to affix the targets to the pallets. I noticed wood flying when I was shooting but not when he was shooting. I had not paid any attention to his ammo. He was shooting Winchester Universal 7-1/2 shot and I was shooting Winchester Super-X #00 9 pellet buckshot.

We also shot some 9x18mm in a Yugoslavian pistol and a few rounds with a Savage 243.

I had only one problem with loading a round that hung going into the chamber on the 835. There was an irregularity in the plastic shell casing. It came out with no problem.

When we finished, went to the patio where I field stripped my shotguns to clean them and discovered the he knew very little about his weapons. I showed him how to field strip and noticed his fore-end was just like the fore-end of a 500. He said he bought it from a pawn shop. It had the vented rib barrel that he had sawed off to 18-1/2 inches and I have to say that he did a good job.

All in all it was a good day for the first day off for 9 days. The UAG Red/Blue dot sight and the Tasco Buck-Sight both held up with no issues, the Choate magazine extension was flawless, he had a sore shoulder but I had no pain from the gun shoots, shooting mostly my 835 with the Knoxx and Limbsaver.

I put new cable, peep sight and string on my recently acquired Parker Extreme Ultra-Light 70 pound compound bow and sighted in the sights. My muscles are a little sore from that. No bruises, no blood blisters, no hickeys, nobody hurt and the only thing killed was a few targets. All in all it was a good day at the Kat Ranch here in Texas.

Back