• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell help.. Looking for reliable ammo...

Dk9mm

Copper BB
Hello all, I'm new here to the forum and will be picking up my 1st SH Wednesday... Mossberg combo!

Looking for a good home defense and target practice shells...

I seen some Winchester AA for $10 for 25.....

Good deal for target?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks!

$10 isn't horrible, although both Remington and Winchester offer slightly better deals for target loads... around $8 for 25rnd boxes and if you're lucky you can find a 100rnd value pack for about $25.

We could get into the weeds talking about all the different HD loads, and you'll get a multitude of different opinions. But if you're just looking for 00 Buck, my recommendation would be Hornady Critical Defense... they always group well for me, and because they're slightly shorter than most 2 3/4" shells... I can usually stuff one extra round in the tube... has worked both on the 590 and 500's I've tried.

It's a really tough time to be buying any ammo that you intend to defend your life with.

Practice... break in... the 100-rd value packs at WalMart by Federal or Winchester are just fine, but shooting them at paper beyond a certain distance won't allow you to see much of what your are accomplishing.

Can a LGS in your area order you a case of buckshot or slugs, even if the wait is a month or more?

Hey dk, ammo is such a pain to find. Every time I am in Walmart usually for motor oil I stop and see if they have any 12ga target loads. They carry Winchester X at my local store for $24 a box of 100, not a bad deal at all. Don't know if you've got a Dick's sporting goods near you but they carry the Winchester XX #9 target loads for $28 a box.

For HD ammo I picked up a few 5 packs of Federal 00 buck. Usually the lgs will carry the 5 packs for $7 which is pretty good. 25 rd boxes are all but non-existant anymore.

Obviously target and HD ammo are very different so you should pick one of each you really like. I have found the above work for me. Good luck!

Shotgun Jeremy said:
Walmart and Academy:

100 round boxes of buckshot-about $25.

Seriously? That is just amazing. I've never seen that around here. You're very fortunate.

Shotgun Jeremy said:
Walmart and Academy:

100 round boxes of buckshot-about $25. I'll buy a box and head to the range for some pump therapy.

I've seen birdshot at prices like that, but never buckshot. Pretty amazing find. :shock: Take care. Tom Worthington.

I just found some Federal Premium Vital-Shok 3" with FliteControl Wad on AbleAmmo.com. I know it's not ideal given that it's 3" but with the reviews that the 2.75" stuff got, I had to pull the trigger on a few boxes. Link below.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/federal ... 91112.html

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

I use Winchester and federal target loads buy them box 100 for $25 as well also keep some winchester super X 00 buck and some fiocci 00 buck bought the fiocci for $12 10 round boxes

nitesite said:
Shotgun Jeremy said:
Walmart and Academy:

100 round boxes of buckshot-about $25.

Seriously? That is just amazing. I've never seen that around here. You're very fortunate.

Tom396 said:
Shotgun Jeremy said:
Walmart and Academy:

100 round boxes of buckshot-about $25. I'll buy a box and head to the range for some pump therapy.

I've seen birdshot at prices like that, but never buckshot. Pretty amazing find. :shock: Take care. Tom Worthington.
Gaaaaaaat dangit! Ladies and gents-what we have here is why you shouldn't tapatalk and college all at the same time.

I mean..err...yea. Buckshot. 100 rounds. They're just really small bb's instead of your standard Buckshot.

That box of Focci I just bought (ammo can of 80 rounds) was $59 plus S&H. Don't know how it shoots or patterns yet.

At the end of the hunting season sale at Dicks I picked up several boxes of Winchester Buckshot as well as slugs at a huge discount. I pick up a box or two of the Federal target loads just about every time I hit Wally World. Always seems to be in stock...I'm heavy on SG rounds right now. Wish I could say the same about other types...

Man, I envy you guys that can buy ammo online! I'm always missing out on good deals.

,,,AK,,,,,,i can always mail you some auto parts,,,,if ya know wat i mean,,, ;) ;)

How did you know??? I could use an alternator, intake manifold and I'll take some brake pads as well. Any problems with that?

aksavanaman said:
How did you know??? I could use an alternator, intake manifold and I'll take some brake pads as well. Any problems with that?

and a case or two of 00 buck. ;)

,,,,delivery for Mr. AK,,,,,

Attachments

• ammotruck.jpg
    ammotruck.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 188
Got to shoot the Focci today thru my 930. Seemed to like my skeet choke better than the Coyote choke. At 15 yds the skeet pattern was tighter. I'll see if I can post of some pics...

Also shot my Stevens 12 ga and grandfathers double barrel. The Stevens at 10 yds made holes like a big slug and the DB covered the whole target (7.5 target loads). The Stevens must be full and the DB cylinder from what I can tell. The DB kicks even with a Limbsaver on it. Will be fun shooting 5-stand with it...

Back