• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting mats

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Looking for a well made, relatively inexpensive shooting mat for recreational use. My elbows and knees got chewed up pretty good this weekend shooting an Appleseed Project course. While it was muddy, there is a lot of gravel and shell casings laying about. The large indoor/outdoor door mat I picked up didn't cut it...

What are y'all using?

OA, the only shooting mats I've seen that had decent padding and were more substantial than a basic tarp were up in the $100+ range. Just to offer an inexpensive alternative, a 1/2" thick yoga mat would work well. You can find them on-line for $29.99 or less and locally at Target, WalMart, etc. They are made from dense polyurethane foam that will keep water from soaking through and the "extra thick" 1/2" variety should be thick enough to keep your knees and elbows from getting chewed up. Most will come with a carry bag or straps. Standard size is usually 2'x6', and yes they do come in black...

https://prosourcebands.com/categories/yoga-products/yoga-mat.html

You could also get a decent entry mat at Sam's club. I got one that is 3'x5' with rubber backing and carpet on the top for about 20 or 30 dollars. It would make nice mat for the range if it wasn't by my front door.

Damn, the yoga mat is a good idea.

Heck yeah!

...and between rounds you can always work in a downward facing dog, crouching tiger, or whatever else they use to improve your chakra while turning yourself into a human pretzel. Or, you could just take a nap which is more my speed...

I looked at the yoga and foam mats at Walmart Saturday night but they didn't look wide enough. I'll go back now that I'm not physically worn out.

As for practicing yoga, trying to get into a couple of those shooting positions is like yoga to me and my non-flexible body...

I use a "jeepers creeper" made by Lisle tool. It may not be wide enough for what your wanting. But its padding enclosed in vinyl, in 4 segments so folds easily, and has a carry handle stitched in. Its made for mechanics that have to work outside a lot. Much like I do lol.

At 18" it is a bit narrow. Looking for something 30"-36" to spread out on. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Definitely go with the yoga mat. Check army surplus.

I also support the pads. They make little foam pads that you can add to clothing, but if you're down for awhile go with the hard shell pads.

During the course you are up and down all day. Prone, sitting/kneeling and standing. Dropping from standing to sitting/kneeling and prone takes a toll on gravel and uneven surfaces. My knees and especially my elbows got beat up pretty well.

If I can find a wider yoga mat then that would be good. But the yoga mats I've found so far are 24" wide and just as expensive as the lower end shooting mats.

fd227eb98212aeac96fd5b8190d70d44.jpg

Im verry happy with mine...also very light weight

Back