• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

shooting safety glasses

rdm76mav88

20g
"Philanthropist"
I wear glasses and was told that it would be a good idea to get a pair of safety glasses any suggestions of a good pair didn't want to buy a really cheap pair! Clear or yellow?

i am required to wear safety glasses for work. i get a whopping $50 allowance every 2 years. i got my prescription safety glasses at the local walmart vision center. i walked out with less than a $200 bill for the glasses BEFORE i got the 50 back from my employer.

I will say to that my eyes are sunlight sensitive and i need to have the photograys.

ESS Stryker series work well for over prescription eyeglasses. In fact they are one of the few US armed forces goggles that are authorized for that exact purpose.

http://www.esseyepro.com/Striker-Series ... egory.html

I primarily use them for airsoft but keep one in my range bag as some ranges do require protective eyewear. These are just as effective in that role too. Search around. I always find em dirt cheap at Army surplus shops. Never pay full price. 70 bucks on the ESS site is overkill. Many times found still in the issue packaging completely brand new for less than 30 on fleabay, craigslist, and of course surplus stores. Theres always someone that got out with a duffle bag or rubbermaid tub full of gear including stuff like this willing to sell stupid cheap. You just have to sniff those deals out.

As long as the lenses are relatively new they don't fog up too badly. The anti fog/scratch coating eventually wears out so you have to replace em at some point. I also tear away the foam that surrounds the vent holes in the frame as it helps considerably with fogging up. Also usage of a product called OPS DROPS by Mc Nett corporation helps keep the fog issue in check. Something to think about if your using fully sealing goggle type systems. Fog can be a huge detriment especially for those that might sweat alot.

http://www.mcnett.com/Op-Drops-Anti-Fog ... -P329.aspx

Wish I could use Walmart for my glasses have a unique perscription had to go to lensecrafters last time 3 weeks and $550 later for one pair yeah I'm trying to be careful

I hear ya bro. As I said, being into airsoft and real steel shooting quality eyepro was an absolute must. I just could never justify spending the big bux for RX specific safety glasses. Those ESS goggles are not as stylish but they get the job done and on the cheap if you look for a good deal. Just threw it out there as an alternative. I like they fact that they are fully sealing, have a nice wide elastic strap and are actually quite comfy. IMO they are better protection than standard safety shooting glasses where theres still a gap between the lenses and your face in spots. Also unless you add an elastic strap to the arms standard safety shooting glasses can get knocked off possibly.

YMMV as usual.

If you want to spend some money but not at lenscrafters Walmart now has the DVX (A Wiley X designed line) of safety glasses available. Still not super cheap but a much more affordable option over standard Wiley X, ESS, etc.... although you said something about your prescription. I can't possibly see why they couldn't fill anything you might have over any other eyeglass supply place.

You might want to check with Walmart again on those DVX frames. A security guard friend of mine recently got some as his company required it being on a construction site and he is really happy with them. He called me knowing I require proper eyepro alot but I told him I'll stick to what has worked well for me over 8 years now and because I'm cheap too lol.

Best of luck.

875623402836110c4e79ccbae30d2cb1.jpg

Wiley x vapor. ...comes with clear yelliw & smoke lenses....extremely comfortable

Back