• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shot shell construction and loading

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just a question for those veteran shell reloaders out there.

I've known about low and high brass for years.

But my question is, when reloading, is it best to use the low brass for light loads? Or can you load them as heavy as any other shell?

I've known about low and high brass for years.

then you know it makes ZERO difference .

I load some of my Lee Key Drives with 40gr of Blue Dot(11gr is super hot 10mm auto) , they will make your fillings come loose 1600+fps .....in Winchester AA hulls all day

High brass, low brass has nothing to do with strength, it is to help extract powerful loads in the 1930's ......since then people think its for strength and equate high brass for powerful loads.....makes some since till companies started using it in marketing.

I have loaded really stout loads in ALL plastic hulls before..........a lot of my low brass is more powerful than factory high brass

Thank you for the reply buddy.

It did answer my question. I was concerned with wanting to load them heavy, but your explanation about strength during the transition period from black powder to smokeless was valid. Thank you.

While I don't want to load anything to 1600 fps, I guess it's good to know that it can.

Back