• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shot some old .22lr today.

Tom396

.30-06
I had a box of old .22lr ammo I found with some of the stuff my father left behind. I would estimate it is at least 40 years old, maybe 50. It is Remington. I know that no attempts were made to keep it in ideal conditions. It is still in the original box. I debating just throwing it away, but I just could not stand it. I had to know.

I shot some Winchester 333 through one of my 702 Plinkers, first. Had one misfire. After rechambering that one round, twice, it finally went off. Then I loaded the mag with the old Remington stuff. All ten rounds cycled, went bang, and hit what I was aiming at. For what is worth, I think ammo will last a pretty long time, even if it not given the best of treatment. Take care. Tom Worthington

I've had to "dispose" of some questionable .22s recently. The duds I re-insert in the chamber so the firing pin hits in a different spot and 95% of the time they go off.

This is a wonderful thread idea! Please keep up the comments.....

You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!

I've had to "dispose" of some questionable .22s recently. The duds I re-insert in the chamber so the firing pin hits in a different spot and 95% of the time they go off.

Yeah. Right. Had to.... <SMILE>

I want to dispose of some old .22 magnums but first I gotta find some to dispose of!

I did inherit a box and a half of Blazer .22 long rifles from my mom. She bought them in 1975. I shot them last year, so they were at least 40 years old. They all shot fine and I scored OK with them.

Back