• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun virgin (Ejection problem)

Lliam

Copper BB
Hello Guys;

This is my first post.

I have achieved the distinction of passing my 79th birthday having only fired a scattergun on one occasion. In 1949 a friend had a 410 double pistol and we shot skeet with it. I posted a perfect record: 0 for 40. I'm not unfamiliar with firearms, I have a Kansas CCP and half a dozen pistols and a couple of rifles and spent nearly 9 years in the army. I was pretty good with a 280mm M65.

Anyhow; I fell heir to a Mossberg 500 that some yahoo had tried to "convert" into a homemade tactical. It was pretty much a basket case but I managed to find the missing parts and restore it to working condition but............The shells will extract but not eject. Online advise was it needed a new ejector but that didn't solve the problem.

I have looked at everything I can think of and what I think is the extractors are reversed. The hook on the left extractor looks sharper than the one on the right. Are the extractors supposed to be different and if so which goes where?

'preciate any help I can get.

Lliam

Welcome, Lliam. We'll certainly do what we can to help.

The internals of your 500 should look like those laid out in this picture:

InternalsDiagram.jpg

When you're referring to the "extractors", I'm guessing you're referring to what I have labeled as the Cartridge Stop and the Cartridge Interrupter Assembly. Is that correct?

Some high-quality photos of the internals of your gun will help us help you. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Below is a post the discusses issues with the "extractors" as well that may help you with your problem.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=430

Below is a picture of the left extractor from a Mossberg 500 according to MidwayUSA
315089.jpg

Like I said, I'm not well versed in shotguns but...yes yes yes! the extractor with that shape is on the RIGHT sideof the bolt when seen from the "firing position" The extractor on the left side has a much sharper hook.

Is there any downside to reversing them to see what happens?

Welcome aboard! We'll try and help get the 500 worked out!

The ejection is done from the left side after extraction when the more rounded hook let's go. The sharper hook should be on the right to pull the shell free. If you can get them swithed, that should do the trick! ;) Keep us posted!

Gun guys are the greatest!

Mudinyeri, DHonovich, Rossignol, thanks a million. Broke it down, cleaned it some more, switched extractors finally figgered out the safety has to be forward to install trigger group and now everything is copacetic.

Kicks harder than a 410 pistol, don't it?

Thanx again guys.

Lliam

When I shoot defensive shotgun, I use a push/pull technique to reduce the recoil. I learned the hard way when I bought my first defensive shotgun. Half a day and who knows how many rounds later, my shoulder was purple, green, blue ... you name it. I took a defensive shotgunner course and learned of a relatively new technique that significantly reduces the felt recoil. Some say it reduces it as much as 50-70%. I don't have anything to measure it, but the black and blue is sure reduced. :mrgreen:

A video is worth way more than 1000 words ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

Welcome aboard!

Glad to see your 500's up and runnin. You certainly have nice taste in shotguns! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own. Stop in and visit all the various sub-forums and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Yep, Mud is definitely on to something! Only thing I'd add to that is I like also to get square behind the gun as much as possible. Rather than standing almost sideways like, I prefer the gun more perpendicular to my body, also visible in the video. Combine that with the push/pull method and you won't have any serious issues with recoil! ;)

hi Lliam. glad to see everything's well now. thanx for coming aboard and posting. we have some knowledgeable folks around here as you can see. hope to hear more from you! and don't forget to post up some pics of that beauty you rescued. do you have any before and after pics? it'd be interesting to see them.
cheers.

I may have some pics of the baby cannon and the basket it came in unless one of my many computer crashes have deprived me of them. I'll begin the search. I'll also try to post a pic of the current stage of construction and IF I ever manage , I'll definitely post the finished product.

Maybe I should start a new post but I'm going to need to do some refinishing on this and I'd like to ask what would make a good flat black finish. I think Krylon BBQ Black prob'ly isn't it but powder coat is probably 'way beyond my budget. Ideas appreciated.

And..... I hope you Mossbergers won't think me a traitor but... I have a Stevens Model 325 12 Ga Double. It's been in the family awhile,likely near 100 years, and is now in my posession. I understand (think) they were made between 1900 and 1904. It has a broken stock which I believe I will be able to repair adequately but I'd sure like to get some breakdown drawings or parts lists for it. I doubt I'll ever try to fire it but for the sake of family history I'd like to make it operational and hang it on pegs over the kitchen door.

Recent experience tells me this is as good a place as any to ask.

Many thanks; Lliam

Traitor? Not at all.

Head on down to the "Other Weapons" sub-forum and you'll see that we're enthusiasts of ALL types and makes of firearms. As far as refinishing metal goes, I'll have to defer to those with more experience. Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress...

Nah, not a traitor! ;)

For the finish, you can look into duracoat. I don't know the cost to DIY, but the biggest part of the process is to get the metal clean. It be applied with an airbrush kit.

I can totally relate to needing to keep to a budget!

Back