• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show off your Custom Skateboards!

I'm going over to my brother's house in a lil while, I'm hoping to pull out my old skateboard I made when I was crazy kid. He says it's in his barn, but I need to sort through all the "stuff"....

Holy cow...he has waaay to much stuff. I'm going back for another round this weekend.

Turkeys yelp?
I've cooked quite a number of them but I never had to chase one down my own self.

Well the gloss on this will be dry tomorrow & I will be riding it weather permitting.
View attachment 11796
I'm finally satisfied that it doesn't look too bad but it wasn't my finest moment when I composed this one.

I was trying to capture the wild-eyed insanity of big wave surfing and the downhill skateboarding sport.

Mind you I don't do real downhill anymore.

I love the eyes....those came out sweet!

THANKS Rip.

Inspiration struck hard, in the wee hours, as it is sometimes known to do.

Wednesday I ride again. I need another recovery day tomorrow.

When I was in high school I had a Vision Psycho Stick. I don't have any pics of it any more. While not a custom board, it's the only one I had and no one else around my area had one.

The first longboard I ever bought was a Vision Street wear, 50" long.

Their longboards were just awful.

I paid 50 bucks for it (on sale because it had a ding in the grip tape,) just for the awesome trucks and wheels.

Which turned out to be pretty good but not that awesome.

The deck was flat and sooo flexy I couldn't ride it, so got chopped, and repainted until it became the Deadly Trilobite. That's it on the left.

1460473021982943860437.jpg
Basically a wall hanger now, but when we get new interns at work I drag it out and tell them that they have to skate with us, and if they really want to be one of us they have to ride the Deadly Trilobite.

Those black wheels came off of a Samsonite rolling luggage container it's simply awful to skate on.

Hrrrrumph! Those pesky kids on their skateboards! :mad: ;) Just Kidding! :D Skateboarding is NOT a Crime! :cool:

I had a couple Flite (Newport, RI) boards probably 35 years ago? (I'm dating myself JUST a little bit... ;)) Friend of mine worked there and rode for them "professionally" which gave him "free" boards he could sell.

I got my daughter a "cheapy" wood Walmart board that I modified with aluminum skid plates. She rode it for a little bit but balked at my demand to wear protective gear. There is a town skateboard/BMX park about 10 minutes away. We also have Ripstiks and scooters, both of which I can ride. :)

I just watched about 30 mins of Ripstick videos. Instructional, demo, fails. It still looks like they defy the laws of Newtonian physics, but I guess the kids don't mind breaking those laws. :)

. . . Flite (Newport, RI) . . . ..
The Soda Factory is in RI, and they build some killer downhill decks. I Must own 10 of theirs.

Except for the Deadly Trilobite, the other boards in my last photo were all pressed and shaped there.

. . . I got my daughter a "cheapy" wood Walmart board . .

Oh, the shame! Those awful things are made from wood fiber byproducts. My granddaughters came over with one that their father had brought them, and the trucks had plastic baseplates,

These are the new skateboards that I built for my youngest granddaughters Daphne and Delilah, for Christmas.

These were built from much larger boards which I cut down to suit a smaller child, but still rideable for a limber adult.

They are essentially modeled after the board that I typically ride.

Making the template.
20161103_230208.jpg
Cutting the drop through with my dad's old coping saw.
20161107_070902.jpg
My gun bench also doubles as a woodworking bench.
20161113_113151.jpg

I scanned my pencil sketch into the computer and traced over it, then plotted it to make a nice paper pattern.
20161111_214748.jpg
Rocket Penguin comes to life through the magic of acrylic paint and a brush.
20161112_094834.jpg

Rocket Penguin art is finished and the Surf Cat board is shaped and sanded.
20161117_000905.jpg
I sketched this directly on the board with a pencil and painted it.
20161123_161106.jpg

20161206_090317.jpg All assembled & the grip tape is cut, applied, and trimmed.
20161206_081252.jpg

This is my board in comparison to one of the small ones.
20161105_101154.jpg

This was a mock-up and does not show the trucks that I eventually used

Not a custom board but this is what I have in the backroom.
Picked up at a thrift store. Tunnel Comp, Tunnel Tarantula Wheels, Independent Trucks.

That"s pretty rad for a thrift shop board.

Nobody got to ride on Christmas Eve, as it was too dark by the time presents were opened. The kids are all coming today to go skate, so perhaps there will be some actual video later. ;)

We got all the girls back for lunch today and then went to the park with all the skateboards, rollerblades and helmets.

20161226_160702.jpg

Little Daphne did okay on the rocket penguin, but Delilah went on and on and would not give up.

Back