• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHTF scenarios

SGT. LB

what SHTF scenarios are you planning for? I wanna hear anything from zombies to Red Dawn type scenarios, and anything in between. I find it interesting to hear what others are prepping for. being in hurricane land, i prep for emergency evac, and if i have to bug in, looters and thieves.

I would say economic collapse would be the most realistic in my book... take your pick at the cause... federal reserve folds, major terrorist attack, Gov't take over = Civil War. I've just now started thinking about prepping and I feel hugely overwhelmed with the task at hand, at a very minimum I could put together a BOB to survive a few days, but it's tough having to think about your family and pets as well.

Personally, I don't prepare for anything specific.

I have some basic stuff you'd wanna keep in case of bein stranded or havin to leave the house. Or havin to stay in the house without power.

If there was a major event that forced us from the home, the pets are the least of my concern. I try to have enough that we aren't thinkinabout rationing and be able to make it a few days.

This canbe a veryin depth topic, but I think it would very closely resemble an existing topic called "kit talk".

I prepare for my Fiance to go bat shit crazy! That's about the most realistic possibility :lol: :lol: :lol: She knows I love her unconditionally... zombie or not... ;)

Living in Dixie Alley, my biggest concern is tornadoes. We usually get several thru here every year, but so far we've been lucky and not been hit. Got very close a few times (like 300 yds), but no significant damage to my property except a few trees blown down. Life in the South.

Whoa, I have always had a strange interest in Tornado's since I was young. For years I have wanted to see one in person but sometimes I think it is better I just have to put up with 3 feet of snow over night in PA lol

Itsricmo said:
Whoa, I have always had a strange interest in Tornado's since I was young. For years I have wanted to see one in person but sometimes I think it is better I just have to put up with 3 feet of snow over night in PA lol

Trust me, the last thing you want to do is get up close and personal with a tornado. It may be the last thing you ever do.

Well I don't mean within arms reach but I would like to see one in person maybe a couple miles away. They so interesting and unbelievably powerful for being "just wind" if I can say it like that lol

Itsricmo said:
Well I don't mean within arms reach but I would like to see one in person maybe a couple miles away. They so interesting and unbelievably powerful for being "just wind" if I can say it like that lol

They're not just wind. They are full of everything they pick up from sticks to cars and cows, all traveling at high speed. They are just about the most dangerous weather event you can possibly imagine. And many are hidden in rain so you can't see them coming. And they are totally unpredictable.

I was being vague on my description lol Worry not, as I do have a pretty good understanding of what they are capable of lol... Throwing straws through trees and soda cans that kill people.... Cars being moved miles... etc..

Still something I would like to see... call it a Bucket List Item for age 90 ;)

Itsricmo said:
I was being vague on my description lol Worry not, as I do have a pretty good understanding of what they are capable of lol... Throwing straws through trees and soda cans that kill people.... Cars being moved miles... etc..

Still something I would like to see... call it a Bucket List Item for age 90 ;)

I understand the fascination people have with severe weather or other natural events. It's the raw power and uncontrolled nature of them and the brush with death. A tornado is Gods blender operating on puree. Think of everything in your house from knives and shards of window glass to bedding hurtling toward you at 200+mph.

I do not think we will move anywhere if it is not caused by Mother Nature (more on that in a minute). I've been giving it a lot of thought since it seems that we are on a collision course with catastrophe.

I have enough equipment sans generator to make staying here very doable. I'm stocking non-perishable foods, enough for 30-60 days, maybe longer. Sufficient water and beer is a must. Meat is an issue but I think I can get around it. We are not in the most defensible position (too many blind spots, residential) but I think with the right tactics/planning we can do this as well. It's not like we will be under siege 24/7. Between my neighbor, who I'd have move across the street with his wife, I would manage. Big question is getting one daughter out of Cincy and the other to safety in Pitt.

As for Mother Nature, I went through Andrew in '92. I lived on base with my family. We had 1 day notice to evacuate. So wife and daugher headed north to Jacksonville while I stayed as part of the base receovery team. Our house was one of 7 in our area that was relatively undamaged. 11 of us stayed there for 2 weeks. We stayed armed in the event of looters (undamaged HUD project across the street...they were in our housing area as we returned from our evacuation point) and to make trips off-base to other's homes. There were people shot for looting off-base but it was downplayed by the press.

So staying in place is the best choice for us right now. Time will tell if it the correct choice.

Back