• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

sighting in new 930 spx

schnacke

Copper BB
Good day,
I am picking up my new 930 spx in a couple hours and after cleaning it am hoping to go out to the range this weekend. I will be putting mostly buckshot and slugs through it for the first trip to help break it in. My ultimate goal for the gun is to be a home defense shotgun and also a fun range toy. My real question is, what distance should I sight it in for slugs that will not affect the shorter range of buckshot or even lighter birdshot? I am new to shotguns so if this is a really stupid question I apologize.
Thanks
-Schnacke

schnacke said:
Good day,
I am picking up my new 930 spx in a couple hours and after cleaning it am hoping to go out to the range this weekend. I will be putting mostly buckshot and slugs through it for the first trip to help break it in. My ultimate goal for the gun is to be a home defense shotgun and also a fun range toy. My real question is, what distance should I sight it in for slugs that will not affect the shorter range of buckshot or even lighter birdshot? I am new to shotguns so if this is a really stupid question I apologize.
Thanks
-Schnacke

My 930 SPX is also going to be used for home defense. What I did was pace off in my home the max distance I felt it would take to introduce your 930 SPX to a home invader. Then I purchased a few different manufactures of my preferred home defense loads, in my case the 2 ¾ 00 buck. Went to the range and shot that load at the max distance. Again in my case my home defense load is Remington 2 ¾ 00 buck shot at 15 to 20 paces, devastating. That will also show you the importance of aiming a shotgun. Now to your question on slugs. I then moved my target out to 25 yards and with Remington 1oz slugs held a very nice group, then at 75 yards just to see if I could hit the target, let’s just say if the target was a deer I would have hit the vital areas 3 of 5 shots. Shooting the slugs were just to see what they would do at 25 and 75 yards, at no time did I adjust my rear sight. And again I was more interested in my home defense load, at the inside the house, home defense distance.

Back