• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Skinner winged peep sight - what size front post?

beeman86

Copper BB
Hi folks,

I'm a new member from Ontario.

I recently purchased a new 464, straight grip to use for hunting in the bush where closer quicker shots will be the rule. I didn't want to go to a red dot, only because it doesn't seem right to put it on this particular gun. I can't imagine a shot over 75 yards in this bush. With my eyes not being as good as before I wanted to go to a peep sight and after some searching went with a Skinner winged sight.

I was wondering if anyone else has mounted one and what height front sight they used. I know there's a formula to use after shooting the gun at a target but I'd really like to know what has worked for others. I think it's going to have to be a fairly tall front sight.

I'd appreciate any input.

It varies with the model.
TheSkinner Wing Sight was developed on a simple 464, and for that Skinner recommends the 0.60" high front sight.
I own a 464 SPX and 0.60" was not tall enough. They made me a 0.75" tall sight and it worked great.

Thanks. I ordered a front sight from Skinner, one recommended for the 464 but it arrived after our season so I haven't got it on yet. It's not handy just now and I forget what size it is. I'll re-post when I get it on.

I have a skinner low pro on mine. I put a .65" brass front on mine and it got me shooting low enough. I would suggest getting a .75" and trim it down if needed

Back