• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

small restoration project

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It started out being a small project, but it has kind of snowballed and one thing leading to another.

Initially, when I picked up the SKS, I told myself that I wasn't going to do anything to it and just enjoy it for what it is.

It had a 20 round promag when I got it (which actually seemed like a nice magazine), but I kind of like the original setup better.

So, the promag got sent to a buddy of mine and I picked up an OEM box mag for it. At the same time, I also remembered the whole reason I got rid of my first one was because of the floating firing pin and unintentional slam fires, so I ordered a Murray's firing pin and spring to replace it with.

All went fine for a while and I thought I got it all out of my system, but the stock had several bad places in it that were bugging me.

And I never liked the lighter blonde color chinese stocks anyway, so I decided to replace it with a new wood stock because the one that was on it was just too ragged out and I'll refinish the new one in a slightly darker color when it gets here later this week.

I have already sanded down the forend and hand rubbed 3 coats of English Chestnut stain on it and I was happy with how it turned out. The new stock will get the same treatment.

But while I had the gun entirely tore down, I couldn't help but notice the light spots in the blueing from wear and tear and I thought to myself that if the wood stock and everything was going to look nice, why shouldn't the metal look good too?

So, I tore my shop apart until I found the last of the Norrels Moly bake on paint I had and refinished the barreled receiver with two coats, so essentially, I have almost entirely restored the gun with all the little projects and face lifts over a period of a couple of months.

Of course pics of the stock and finished gun will come later after I get the new stock and get a little while to sand it down and restain it, but I can show some before and after pics of the metal refinishing in the meantime if anyone wants to see it so far.

sksmolyrefinish001.jpg

sksmetalrefinish003.jpg

sksmolyrefinish002.jpg

sksmetalrefinish004.jpg

sksmolyrefinish003.jpg

sksmetalrefinish005.jpg

sksmolyrefinish005.jpg

sksmetalafter001.jpg

sksmolyrefinish007.jpg

sksmetalafter003.jpg

OOhhh...nice....I'll be following this John.
:)

You're a good man Charlie Brown!

Anyone who puts in the time to give a little TLC to a rifle that's seen better days is a stand-up guy in my book...

Thanks guys.

I got a tracking number for the stock earlier this morning, so hopefully by this weekend, I'll have time to take the hardware off of it and sand it down to bare wood and rub some stain on it and finally get the gun to suit my taste better.

I hate wait'n for packages, but I sure do love when they show up. Lookin forward to seeing it come together Mr. A...

Tracking info says ETA is wednesday, so it's possible that I may get it together before the weekend if all goes well depending on how my schedule plays out.

Waiting for packages is nothing compared to the NFA branch wait LOL

Speaking of packages, I got a big package of stripper clips last week that I sat down and loaded a bunch up while watching the tube yesterday evening. :mrgreen:

This "little" project has about kicked my butt.

Here are a few pictures of the original stock and the condition it was in and why I just ordered a new stock

sksoldstock001.jpg

sksoldstock002.jpg

I have had a ton of trouble with the new stock. It's a long story that I don't want to type out right now, but let's just say, the cross bolt on the replacement stock was in the wrong place and I'll leave it at that.

sksoutofspecstock013-1.jpg

And a scribed line on the bottom of the receiver to show just how badly misaligned it was

sksoutofspecstock014-1.jpg

But I didn't let it whoop me.

sksstockrefinish001.jpg

sksstockrefinish019.jpg

It turned out pretty decent after all

closeup.jpg

sksrestoration002.jpg

sksrestoration015.jpg

Thanks for the compliment LES.

It's done now. I can stand to look at it LOL

Wow. That looks just amazing John. Great job, and +1 for not givin up.

Back