• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

so im watching american guns...

Ripsnortr said:
he could have kept his heirloom and boutght a brand new SG and put the side saddle and forend on it for half the money, and he would have had 3 guns, not one.

Could not AGREE MORE!!!!
That Youth Pastor is an IDIOT!

LTB, Man I agree...

I have an old Stevens (Cleveland Sportsman) 10 ga. I was given by my father in law who remembers his grandad hunting with it when he was a kid! I had considered havin new furniture made for it... but have decided to leave it with the few cracks in it and keep it as a piece I can hang on the wall man. Theres alot of history in that old gun and it may go back as far as the early to mid 1900's but def pre WWII.

No way I'd try and alter it. Heck just to have it restored to original I was quoted $2000! If I could afford restoration, I'd consider it, though I think 2 grand is high. Especially for a gun that wasnt even sold but for less than $100 new.

LTB45 said:
Finally got a chance to watch the show last night.

All I can say is SACRILEGE!!!!!

To see the smiths and the son (the engraver) so happy about taking Grandpa's old 870 hunting gun and turning it into an HD gun........MADE ME SICK!!!!!

Now if it was a newer Express than I could see cutting it up and welding on sights, but an old WINGMASTER.....NEVER!!!

They destroyed a piece of family history and built a gun that could have been bought NEW for much less than half what they charged!

My wife kept telling me to relax cause I was yelling at the screen every time they would discuss what they were doing to it! :shock:

Yeah exactly. I can appreciate your passion, I still laugh to myself when I think about that episode, was just so, exaggerated and bizarre. :D A gunsmith that gets excited about bolting on parts, well, whats to get excited about that? Guess shooting fish in a barrel is fun.

I will go this far and say, the boy on the show, has engraving talent and its cool to see the females of the show, actually firing weapons, even the ones you wouldnt expect.

I completely missed the details of what they did. As soon as I saw the trade, and the price quotes, I was already on this site, posting this thread. :lol: Finally, I had something I could talk to other people about, and be entertaining for everyone. :lol: By the time I remembered to hit record, to see what they had done to the gun, I had missed the scene where they go over the list of modifications to be done.

Rossignol said:
LTB, Man I agree...

I have an old Stevens (Cleveland Sportsman) 10 ga. I was given by my father in law who remembers his grandad hunting with it when he was a kid! I had considered havin new furniture made for it... but have decided to leave it with the few cracks in it and keep it as a piece I can hang on the wall man. Theres alot of history in that old gun and it may go back as far as the early to mid 1900's but def pre WWII.

No way I'd try and alter it. Heck just to have it restored to original I was quoted $2000! If I could afford restoration, I'd consider it, though I think 2 grand is high. Especially for a gun that wasnt even sold but for less than $100 new.

I could understand your situation, make new wood for it, keep the old, to reinstall if you wish. Thats understandable.

That poor guy on the show, even if they let this guy keep his original stock/forearm, original barrel, and he wanted to return it to original condition. The sum total of the aftermarket add ons, resale, wouldnt even make a dent in his out of pocket. He would be left with a flat black receiver, mag tube, exposed parts, and a original blued barrel, with OE wood buttstock forearm. Look like one of those hollywood actors/actress with a botched plastic surgery event.

Im starting to go from, haha thats funny to , man I feel bad for the guy. :D

Rossignol, often times people will try to charge more just because of sentimental reasons if they think you'll pay more for it.

My wife's Dad recently past away a couple of months ago and it's been hard for both of us. Since she was the only remaining child, she inherited his belongings.

In that list of things was a Stevens Model 94 12 gauge.

Pre 68 (no serial number anywhere), looks almost new and even the hammer is stiff and even has some tension letting the barrel down, and most unusual to me is the case hardened receiver and metal trigger guard.

I'm pretty sure that gun belonged to my wife's Grandfather and had already been past down once before and didn't look like her Dad had ever shot it either.

Some things need to be left alone.

LTB45 said:
Finally got a chance to watch the show last night.

All I can say is SACRILEGE!!!!!

To see the smiths and the son (the engraver) so happy about taking Grandpa's old 870 hunting gun and turning it into an HD gun........MADE ME SICK!!!!!

Now if it was a newer Express than I could see cutting it up and welding on sights, but an old WINGMASTER.....NEVER!!!

They destroyed a piece of family history and built a gun that could have been bought NEW for much less than half what they charged!

My wife kept telling me to relax cause I was yelling at the screen every time they would discuss what they were doing to it! :shock:

I am a pump gun LOVER and to see this really hurt!!!
ya know. It used to bother me when someone would take a classic car and destroy it for a show. then I realized. everyone they destroy just makes the rest more rare.
would I let them work on anything I own? no.
Would I do that to grampa's old 870? NO!

John, I bet its a beauty, and the case hardened receiver!!! Oh man, thats somethin else! The old Stevens I've got is well used/loved. It could def use some tlc, but otherwise, I agree, just leave em alone...

According to NRA's Museum site, the Stevens Chicopee Falls plant was closed in 1960. So it is at least no newer than that.

Not too bad for at least a 50 year old heirloom.

shotgun016.jpg

shotgun017.jpg

I cannot get a good picture of the bore, but it has no scratches in it that would indicate that it has ever been fired.

No rust, pitting, and even the wood is not worn or discolored from sweat/oils in the usual places.

stevensshotgun005.jpg

stevensshotgun002.jpg

stevensshotgun001.jpg

It's as pristine condition as I've ever seen.

Nice looking old Stevens!

Acouple of weeks ago I picked up (for a steal) an old Sears Savage Stevens SxS choked Full & Mod..
Shot a round of Doubles Trap with it.......Kicked the Crap out of me...But I love this old classic gun....LOL!
I need to hunt something with it!!!

I like the old Stevens shotguns.

They sure dont' build 'em like the used to.

The ones I have will take anything you can dish out and keep right on shooting.

Back