• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spartan Ammunition

bigdonatx

Copper BB
Greetins from austin. Finding ammo sucks here just like every where else, but I was at Academy today and the only thing of interest was some spartan 00 for $12.99 for a box of 25. Anyone shot this yet? The price is right. Just asking for input. By the way my first post. I have learned a lot from this sight already.

Re: spartan 00 buck

Welcome aboard Sir!

Just picked up a box of the Spartan 00 buck last weekend as well. Haven't got out to try it yet though...

Welcome, bigdon. No, I have not shot those rounds but many here may have. I have Winchester, Remington and Focci. Most all shoot well but is up to you to decide what works best for your firearm. Chokes make a huge difference as each type of round responds differently to different chokes.

Glad you enjoy the site. We strive to make it a place where all are welcome and can contribute to the knowledge of everyone/

Thanks eveyone. There is a store down here called gt distributors that has good prices on quality ammo but they limit how much you can buy. I was just looking for some "cheap" buckshot to practice with.

Picked up two boxes myself awhile back but haven't had a chance to go try it yet. I've been away on vacation past two weeks. FYI Spartan I was told by the Academy folks is a foreign made ammo and the company that markets it as Spartan is based there in the Austin area. Every Academy around me (San Antonio area) seems to have plenty on hand and priced the same as GT. Awesome store by the way for anyone in the Austin/SA area to go check out sometime. For functionality and practice it should be more than adequate I think. I can live with just over 50 cents a trigger pull at this price too. ;)

So anyone tried the Spartans yet? I got 4 boxes myself. At first I got two and went home to check it out on the net (no, I didn't shoot my monitor. :D)

There was some on Youtube and looked like they had fun with it so I picked up two more on my next trip.

I finally got a chance to go shooting last weekend. The spartan felt and shot the same as winchester super x 00 and rio royal 00. Shot through my 500 pistol grip. We were just shooting random stuff so I didn't do any pattern testing just having fun. For the price I like it.

I ran across the website for GT Distributors http://www.gtdist.com a couple of weeks ago and their posted prices were almost too good to believe. The one that caught my eye was Flitecontrol buckshot for about 80 cents a round and they carry both 00 and #1 buck. I wasn't aware of the purchasing limit, what is it exactly? I'm about an hour down the road in San Antonio and had been thinking that if I could catch them with some Flitecontrol #1 buck in stock it would be worth the trip to buy a case or two but if there is a limit I doubt they'd let me buy that much.

The limit is five boxes of duty rounds and ten boxes of practice rounds. Basically if it's federal buck or slug they call it duty and if it's speer lawman it's practice rounds. And you can only buy once every thirty days. But the prices are online are real.

When shooting new ammo a range report is a great courtesy to other shooters. Put a couple on paper, measure the group and step off the yards. Inquiring minds want to know and as the first shooter I'd assume that person would want the info as well!

No tape measure? Open your hand wide at home. Measure thumb to pinkie - mine is 8 1/2" - commit that to memory. Most people of reasonable stature can make a 3' (1yd ) stride wit some (or little) effort - another good field tool.

I'm just sayin'...

Thanks for getting back to me Don. With that small a purchasing limit it isn't nearly worth the drive.

I have put a couple boxes of their 00 buck through my A1.

It has a decent pattern and for the price it makes great range ammo...

Thanks for relocation of the post. I did a search of Spartan ammunition and it didn't direct me here. I may order up some bulk in the next couple days. Thanks again!

No worries.

For the price, I try to pick up a box or two of the Spartan every time I'm at Academy. I saw the bulk cases for sale at SGAmmo and that's definitely a worthwhile investment. Let us know how you like it when you get a chance to test it out...

Back