• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring Cleaning

BRL

.22LR
That's about as far as I'm willing to go to clean this shotgun up this time around.

I had never taken the recoil spring out before and the tube had some brown residue that came off on the cleaning patch, but other than that the parts just needed an inspection and light cleaning & oiling.

Kind of interesting to get to know the internal workings of this 930 a little better and now I'm ready to get it dirty all over again. :)

d285feeb-d817-4528-bb30-bc174178c41b.jpg

Now for the real question, did you get it back together?

It took me a while the first time I broke mine down.....in fact, I've never done it since. LOL

That's about as far as I'm willing to go to clean this shotgun up this time around.

I had never taken the recoil spring out before and the tube had some brown residue that came off on the cleaning patch, but other than that the parts just needed an inspection and light cleaning & oiling.

Kind of interesting to get to know the internal workings of this 930 a little better and now I'm ready to get it dirty all over again. :)

d285feeb-d817-4528-bb30-bc174178c41b.jpg

Wow that's really giving it a spring cleaning!! Nice.

I think I got it back together right because it cycles with some spent hulls that have the front folding portion cut off of them, but I have yet to fire live shells out of it to be sure.

I don't see any extra parts laying around! :D

Those are called spares :cool:

HA! :D

One curiosity that I did notice is that the two pins that hold the trigger housing in place, and go through those two hollow tubes with the retaining clips, have two additional smaller grooves on one side of them only.

I put them back in with the two smaller grooves on the side of the tube that has that clip, but I'm not sure if that's right, or even if it really matters, because I wasn't paying attention when I first drove them out. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll find out if I got it right...or I'll just watch the fire control group fall to the ground. :oops:

I've put the pins in both ways (I think) and it makes no difference. I'm sure there's a reason for the extra groove, but I've yet to discover it.
Also, the brown residue you cleaned off of the buffer spring is probably factory grease put on there to lubricate its movement, shouldn't make a big deal to not have it on there other than that it may make a scratching noice when it fires now.

I've put the pins in both ways (I think) and it makes no difference. I'm sure there's a reason for the extra groove, but I've yet to discover it...

Yes it would seem that the pins have the retaining grooves cut in them an equal distance from both sides, but it turns out that I have already placed them in such a manner that puts the two smaller grooves on the right hand side as MikeT indicated.

The nice thing about having torn down this shotgun for cleaning is now I have a little better idea of how it functions, and adding a little quality grease into the recoil spring tube & assembly will be easily accomplished.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

ETA: Just finished adding some Tetra Gun grease to the plunger and the front dozen or so spring coils.
Funny thing was that I had originally considered adding grease, but decided instead to apply Breakfree CLP to the assembly because grease might attract too much dirt and firing residue.

But I think the added grease will be fine until my next detail cleaning.

Last edited:
Back