• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Steel shot reloading question

Mossybloke

.270 WIN
OK, dumpster dived at the range today for some Federal Top Gun hulls so I can start reloading my first batch of steel shot. I adjust my ram to 40 lbs pressure like the instructions said (MEC 600) but the wad (PT1253) won't sit down. Had to adjust to 100 lbs. pressure. Am I missing something or am I OK? Just a little nervous loading steel for the first time as I know pressures can change dramatically

Man I wish I could be of some help but steel shot is one of the few things I have never reloaded.

What do you mean, exactly, about a wad that doesn't sit down? As in touching the powder and can still get a nice crimp?

Have you called MEC about it?

Double checked your load data for the correct wad for that specific hull and for steel shot weiight?

Hello,

I have quite a bit of experience loading steel shot and with the PT1253 in particular.

What powder and charge weight are you using?

What shot weight and size?

And where did you get your data?

Much of BPI's data for that wad uses the Federal Plastic base hull found in factory buckshot and steel loads, and which has far more capacity then the Top Gun or Gold Medal.

More details please.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I got my load data from BP specs on the wad as you can see below. I copied/pasted from the spec sheet. I also listed the wrong wad in original post. I think what's happening is that hull is straight and I'm used to tapered hulls. I believe the ram is bring the wad back up on the upstroke

2-3/4" Fed GM Fed 209A Blue Dot 30.0 MM1275 None 1oz Steel

Yes, the M1275 will stick to the ram. It also has no cushion section and can take a good bit of pressure to seat n the powder.

Try polishing the sides and end of your wad ram and you can also pinch the side of the hull to hold the wad in place as you withdraw the ram.

For the future, the CSD-100 is hard to beat for easy loading and great patterns with 1oz steel loads.

Thanks for the info. I might look into that CSD-100 wad for duck season as I plan on using 1 oz loads. Do you think a bit of car wax on the ram would work?

Back