• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stiff bolt on my new MVP

nipprdog

Copper BB
Hello, new guy here. Picked mine up earlier this week. When I first tried to raise the bolt, it was so stiff, I thought something was wrong. Pulled the bolt out to make sure I had it aligned correctly, and it was. I got it to open, but the strength required was ridiculous! :shock: I lubed it up with some Wilsons Ultima Lube, loaded a snap cap. and worked the action a hundred or more times over a few nights. Its improved, almost acceptable. ;) I would like to take the bolt apart for some more lubing, and maybe polishing the ramp ;

DNN_9417PW3.jpg

But I'm not sure how to take the bolt apart. It's mot like my Savages where all I have to do is remove an allen bolt. Can someone tell me how to disassemble the bolt?

Thank you.

You're actually the first person I've seen on this forum who actually owns one. These have been very hard to come by. If you do take it apart, be sure to take some pictures and post them, I'm sure we'd like to se some pictures of the rest of the gun as well!

Also, from what I've read, this is pretty normal. Once you break it in you should be in good shape.

I've read about everything there is to read on that subject. It seams to crop up everywhere when discussing Mossberg and rifles, for some reason I've not ran across it here.

Before 2010, the bolt head was press fit. This is not the first time this design has been used, it's not a bad design at all in my opinion. Here is a quote I found on another forum that really sold me on the idea.

"The posts on other sites about the bolt coming apart don't make much sense to me either. It is a pressed bolt, but if the tolerances are tight a press fit should never come apart. Heck wheel bearings in a lot of cars are press fit and they don't normally fly apart sending the wheel down the road."

At any rate, supposedly in 2010 they changed something in the design of the bolt on all ATR's and 4X4's. I'm not sure exactly what that was, although I believe it had something to do with this design. For 2012, there is a completely new bolt, different in appearance as well. I believe this to be an attempt to nullify this perception of a poor design for good. The MVP also has a completely different bolt than that of the ATR and 4X4.

Another quote I've found interesting on the subject...

"here's the only story I found on Google about this "defect"....the plaintiffs story doesn't make a lot of sense...the gun misfired while he was handing it to his son, and also exploded for good measure.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2008/1 ... news03.txt

so I guess we assume it fired unintentionally while he was handing the loaded weapon to his son, and in addition to firing itself, it also self-destructed?"

Edit to add:
The plaintiff had disassembled the bolt and put it back together wrong. A certified gunsmith told him not to fire it and he did anyway.

To pull the bolt apart clamp Bolt AKA Hammer with no Mar plyers pull back and unscrew counterclockwise and then pull it apart , When you reinstall turn it all the way in till it stops then back it off to the cocking slot Hope this helps DD

The MVP series feature a Savage like floating bolt head design.

To disassemble the bolt the first step is to catch the sear notch of the firing pin on something and pull it back.
The handle end of a nylon dog leash or the loop end motorcycle tie down will do just fine. The edge of the coffee table will also serve well.

As mentioned pull the firing pin back and twist the gas shield, a.k.a. cocking piece housing, one quarter turn and the works pops right out.

Once the firing pin assembly is out the bolt head the bolt head retaining pin should fall out of the bolt body and the bolt head can then be slid out as well.

Note: there is a shallow index notch in the shank of the bolt head and a matching lug inside the bolt body to index the two pieces.

It is physically impossible to reassemble the bolt wrong.

Reassemble in revers order.

The only difference is this time you push the gas shield, a.k.a. cocking piece housing to compress the spring.

Back