• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stored loaded or unloaded?

So in the case of home defense, I'd like to see how everyone stores their shotgun on the regular. I know storing a gun loaded is dangerous in the sense of unwanted use but isn't loading a gun a pain in the ass when people are breaking into your home? I don't have kids and none ever come here, but there's also the possibility of a crook finding a loaded weapon and turning it on you. Personally I keep my mag tube loaded, none in the chamber, but I still use my Mossberg Cablelock. Now all I have to do is turn a key and im ready to rock instead of fumbling around for ammunition and possibly making too much noise. At the same time a random person can not fire my gun without first removing the lock. This is how I keep mine now, but I'd love to hear you guys' opinion on what you think is best and how you store your own firearms. Also, can the spring in my mag tube become worn out from constantly having shells stored in it? Thanks for the feedback.

Hey DWG, I dont keep mine loaded, but I keep shells close either on a shell cuff or next to the gun. My .45 mags are loaded, but not in the gun. If I were going to keep shells in the mag tube, because of the concern you mentioned with weakening the spring, I would load several, but not full capacity. I also have 3 shotguns under the bed and directly within arms reach, so if I load the magazine in one, the others are unloaded, and I rotate them.

I dont use locks or safes. If I need to access the gun, I'd rather grab a few shells and load them, which is practiced motions for me, and not have the impediment of romoving locks. The only way a cable lock would be useful to me is if the key is in the lock. This is just me though.

I have kids. They all know where the guns are. They can look at them anytime they want (with me and supervision) and are familiar with the actions and operation. We often have guests. Because of this, as I mentioned, I rarely keep them loaded, and honestly because of concerns voiced to me, I havent kept them loaded in a very long time. There are only a handful of shells closely available and they are not visible, but always within reach for me.

I never assume "this could never happen here, or never happen to me". So training and awareness and safety talks are also common. When we handle firearms, we also talk over the safety protocol that goes with safe handling.

I otherwise have no safe or storage system. A firearm that cant be accessed immediately in an emergency, to me is useless. But with ease of use and accessability comes risk. There is a trade off for security vs accessability.

Thanks rossignol, I've often felt the same way about security devices on a weapon. It's just hard with all of the years of being in boy scouts and hand gun safety courses to rid yourself of the safety or security measure thoughts. I know if I don't have the lock on then I will definitely not keep it loaded but I do know what you mean by the more natural motion of loading shells compared to using a tiny key on a tiny lock. I'm definitely taking this into consideration, might have to hide some PDX1 rounds near my bed haha

Youre welcome, and I know that what I do is not talked about as "safe practices". I keep a handful of Federal Tactical LE 00 9 pellet low recoil hidden and close, as well as a couple of TruBall slugs in case I need to use the gun on the property for coyote or wild dogs.

Depending on where I am and who I am around dictates whether my firearms are loaded or unloaded. Either way ammunition is always near by.

Well, I have thought about this for a while so I ordered a safe this week and it will be delivered in 3-4 weeks. I needed to find someway to put my SPX "undercover" until I get the safe here and installed in the bedroom closet (may take a while). I will leave the shotty in the safe except at night when I will keep it in the hangers I made up. I found some hangers that you slip between the mattress and box springs, but they were over $30., so I looked around the garage and came up with this. This took about 15 minutes to make. Hope this helps someone else. I will try to load pics but I may have a problem. thanks Clint

Attachments

• regular hanger 001.JPG
    regular hanger 001.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 835
  • regular hanger 004.JPG
    regular hanger 004.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 835
  • regular hanger 002.JPG
    regular hanger 002.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 835
More pictures of the hangers. I keep 5 in the mag all of the time none in the chamber. All are Fed flitecontrol just in case. If the hangers work I may make another set and go get a 590 for another bedroom. Thanks for reading my post. I hope the pictures are all right.

Attachments

• regular hanger 007.JPG
    regular hanger 007.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 836
  • regular hanger 009.JPG
    regular hanger 009.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 836
  • regular hanger 011.JPG
    regular hanger 011.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 836
Dude, Great work! The pics are def a HUGE help, I like it and may do like wise!!!

Thanks Rossignol, this is by far better than the ones made out of 3/8 inch round stock. I can't move them when the mattress is in place. Not to mention I have about 20 of the hangers from my other house. I used a cedar fence board (rough on both sides help it stay in place) that I thought would be too weak but boy I was wrong. I made the bed and put the dust thingy over the shotty and there is no you you can see the bulge. I don't even think you would notice it if you bumped into it!!!!! Clint

Any gun I intend to use for HD is loaded and ready to go. I have an 11 year-old at home so everything is done with safety in mind. He's very responsible but he might have friends over that aren't.

You are right safety trumps all else. I don't have kids living at home ( all grown up and on their own lol ) so I can breath a little easier than most. I did however tell my son-in-law about where it is so if I have an emergency he will come over and make it secure. Clint

That's some nice work, CBS. I would love to do something like that but I swear my large German Shepherd would figure out a way to shoot the gun in the middle of the night. :roll:

I very much like that set-up for people that can make it work.

I have a Sig P250 I keep on the nightstand, my 930 is kept by the bed, in my walkin closet my H&R protector stands at the ready. All loaded all ready to go, no kids to worry about all are grown, been in corrections for 23 yrs and I deal with the worst people on earth and been the object of quite a few threats, I also have a combo stab-bullet proof vest made by Second Chance to make sure I stay some what safe on the job and at home.

Thats a secret, but the last thing anyone might here is the click of my Vang Comp safety

I keep mine loaded as follows:
-2 shells in the mag tube(first shot miss?two targets?)
-snap cap chambered,(my safety approach to anti-A.D)
-2 chamber a round quickly all it takes is a quick pump
-Safety on
-shell carrier full(5)
it posts up against the wall next to my side of the bed.

I keep mine loaded. One in the chamber #4 buckshot just to get his attention, the rest are #00 buck if he's still able to speak. The gun is 6' away but there is a 40cal within arms reach which I would grap first on the way to the shotgun, once I had the shotgun in hand, I would put the 40 down and go after who ever was stupid enough to come into my house.

I like the bed setup. That was pretty slick.

I don't keep my guns loaded, though I have 3 twelve round 40 S&W mags loaded with 180 gr HP's right beside the gun on the nightstand next to my head in that doskocil case.

The shotty has one of those shell holders on the buttstock with 3 slugs, 1 00B and one 7-1/2 shot for when I see a snake. Which reminds me, I have seen 4 snakes while hiking this year. I usually don't see any, or maybe 1 at the most. Two were copperheads. :?

I have been playing around with different setups so right now the tac.500 is Snap Cap chambered, with 4 in the mag tube (just so I don't have mag tube spring wear worries) If 4 some reason 4 shots does not do the trick a box of ammo is in reach. I took off the shell holder on the buttstock so I can shoot lefty or righty if needed. ;)

I don't yet keep a shotty stored loaded but I do keep a pistol "ready to go" with one in the chamber. It is a Glock, so there is no "safety" to apply. I insert a fully-loaded mag, cycle the slide and that is how it remains in battery. It is fairly new, so the mag springs are rather stiff, with the only remedy to be to store them fully stacked so I opt to leave them missing one for functionality.

When I do keep a shotty "at attention", it will probably be ready to go. Note that the racking of the slide may have deterent effect but it also eliminates the element of surprise.

My kids know not to even think about touching a firearm without me present. Nor do they tell their freinds that we have them. The loaded firearms are hidden from them nontheless.

Back