• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Survival Pen

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This is an interesting pen kit I found at my local Woodcraft store. I bought 2, and spun one yesterday using some desert ironwood. It has a glass breaker on the cap, and a Ferro rod on the other end that unscrews and the cap's clip is the striker. It's a ballpoint pen that can be upgraded to a fisher space pen ink refill.
The next one will be black and blaze orange....
Here it is.....

downloadfile-15.jpeg

Booo hiss.....

downloadfile-16.jpeg

downloadfile-27.jpeg

It snapped when I put it in my side pocket in my jeans....
How can it be called a survival pen if it cant survive being clipped to jean pocket?
Time to call up the company.....

You DO NOT drill a hole right through the most stressed spot on a clip like that. It reduces the effective area of the metal to a tiny spot. That area right near the worm's head is the next worst spot. I've had more than a couple of knife clips do the same. Other than that, that's a *nice looking* pen! I love your choice of wood, Rip!

I called em up this morning and sent em an email follow up. They're sending me 3 new clips just in case..
I think these will stay with me in my truck and one in my wifes jeep.

What you have there is a very rare, yet, undocumented enhancement.

I could go on but this is not a secure line.

Enhancement is kind of a relative term.

If that 12 cent clip snaps before it rips your $30 shirt, that's an enhancement!

Enhancement is kind of a relative term.

If that 12 cent clip snaps before it rips your $30 shirt, that's an enhancement!
Many years ago we were working with an IBM tech trying to debug an OS issue on a RISC server and everytime we found bugs in the software he just told us those were undocumented enhancments. That phrase has stuck with me ever since.

I called em up this morning and sent em an email follow up. They're sending me 3 new clips just in case..
I think these will stay with me in my truck and one in my wifes jeep.

I just got the replacement clips in. They only sent two. Apparently UPS lost the first shipment, so they resent it. you realize how small they are? they came in 13x15 inch mailing envelope....2 little clips.....lol holy cow.

Back