• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tac 22 mod?

Gulla

Copper BB
So it seems that the issue with jamming my tactical 22 is to do with
2 things, 1 shells get stuck in the chamber rather then ejecting and 2
Rounds fed from the mag hit the lower lip of the chamber rather
Then feeding directly into it. As fas as the chamber being tight i have read that
If you take a cleaning rod and a wire bore brush on a cordless drill
And give er to the chambera bit that it loosens up just enough. As far as the
Feeding issue go's i would think that just a touch from the dremel
On the sharp bottom edge of the chamber where the bullet jams into
Would solve the problem, i know this is generally a bad thing to do
But it is only a 22 and i dont think any real harm would be done.
Has anyone considered/done this?

send it back to mossberg. make them fix their mistakes. let them do it right instead of doing a half arse job...

they should have never let it leave the factory like that. at some point the repairs have to start costing too much money and they will tighten things up so other won't have issues...

Gulla said:
But it is only a 22 and i dont think any real harm would be done.
Has anyone considered/done this?

A .22, despite it's size generates a LOT of internal pressure. Don't underestimate it when it comes to safety.

My first step would be to contact Mossberg, anything you do yourself may void the warranty.

I agree 100%.

Any modification to the chamber could result in head spacing issues which could cause an increase in back pressure possibly resulting in serious injury. The last thing you need is pieces of your bolt flying back at your face.

The feeding issues you're describing can be caused by other factors including the magazine or type of ammo. What ammo are you using?

Have tried every ammo i can find, the hang up point would only require removal om maybe 1 mm of the very bottom on the chamber rim.

Ive bought 10 new guns and most of them require a break in period. 2-300 rounds atleast if you do nothing to the gun. During this time you can expect a little trouble. Why? because metal parts need to be worked in the burs need to be worked out so everything runs smooth.

You can skip alot of this if you work with it a little. This takes a little time and knowing what to do to make this break in period quicker and easier.

The first thing i did when i got mine was to tear it down and inspect everything. Ive read many say clean a new gun? why? just to be safe i dont know who has messed with it before me and if anything is loose or overlooked im not going to have it blow up in my face.

I cleaned the whole action, the extractor, the slide, the springs, everything. I also used 800 and 1000 grit wet dry paper and i ran it along the slide and along the top of the trigger housing where the slide rides. I sanded and polished the feed ramp and relubed everything not with grease but with G96 spray (i like tha tstuff)

One thing i also did wich was key (IMO) was the 25 round mag i took it apart sanded the springs to debur the wire. I sanded and polished the fallower and i sanded the case of any burs for a smooth insert into the mag well. I ALSO sanded the channel the round slides in. (see pictures)

Here is the funny part, i put alot of attention on the 25 round mag and when i shot it, it ran flawless. The stock 10 round i forgot to sand the slot where the round feeds and i had issues with it several times loading. a few rounds got hung up in the mag and it kicked the round up to sharp and it wanted to try and load vertical. The rim kept hanging up on this mag. When ide eject the mag the round was still in the mag pointing almost straight up. When i pulled the round out i could feel it binding.

So if you do nothing else sand these edges the best you can, run your finger along these edges of the mag and see how they feel. The smoothe rthey are the easier the round will slide out of the mag and feed properly.

25roundmagcloseup_zpsb4197380.jpg

And this is the stock 10 round, notice how sharp the edges look on this one and the bur on the one corner ive circled. Ide bet if i sanded that a little ill have no more issues with it.

stock10roundmag_zps268e983d.jpg

oh and i also oil my rounds. I put about 300 rounds in a bag with about 10 drop of gun oil and i work the oil into the rounds. This helps alot, feeding and extracting.

Another thing you can do quickly is heck your extractor. The extractor is a little metal rod that mounts on the side of the slide just under the charge handle. These are so small grit and grip and cause these to hang up. Also paint can bind them so they cause issues as well.

A simple check you can do without taking the gun apart is to push on the back end of the extractor arm with your fingernail.

Push on the end here with your nail or a small screw driver, the back of the arm should pivot. The round part in the slot is where a little spring sits.
715Textractorslot_zps89e22952.jpg

Here is the hook and how it rides along the edge of the shell and pulls the lip of the spent shell.
mossberg715T_zps2bb2853c.jpg

I forgot to mention, when its new try and clean it as often between outings as you can i found this helps ALOT. I think i put 100 rounds threw mine friday and i just got done cleaning it. After ive put a few hundred threw it i can go longer between cleanings and it will still be reliable. Least thats what ive found with other guns.

Back