• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tactical Shotgun training video here

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
This is not my video, but I wanted to embed it here since the subject comes up so often.

It does have some good information in it, although there is a few things that I really don't like (feeding shells with your teeth for one).

The video does have some weapon thrusts and butt strokes, which I think are good to know, though not my primary approach to SD/HD but good to know nonetheless.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62TAcfguy0[/youtube]

Great video. I wish there had been a lefty in the class. I'll have to practice a modified technique for speed reloading with my right hand.

Pretty good. One critique. The students went for speed too soon in the reloading, which led to the mistakes they had. He should have de-emphasized speed at this point. Speed comes with practice, just as in car racing.

good video. I really need to hunt around and find some training classes around me. both shotgun and hand gun.

Gunny, I took it as he was just showing how they would be faster at the end of the class. He did tell them to go out and get dummy rounds to practice.
Showing them that they could improve in just a few hours with proper technique will keep them working at it. (That's just my take on it)

I would like to take a class like this. I need to pick up some dummy rounds myself.

Could whip up some dummy rounds with empty hulls and some filler. What I'm thinkin about doin.

I know a guy who just uses empty hulls with the star crimp cut off filled with either weatherproofing silicone, caulk, or hot glue type of fill.

Makes for cheap dummy shells, and have a little more (natural) weight to them than just a piece of molded plastic.

Just sayin' ;)

3skulls said:
Gunny, I took it as he was just showing how they would be faster at the end of the class. He did tell them to go out and get dummy rounds to practice.
Showing them that they could improve in just a few hours with proper technique will keep them working at it. (That's just my take on it)

I would like to take a class like this. I need to pick up some dummy rounds myself.

Could be, although in my experience newbies tend to automatically focus on speed unless they are told differently, because that's what the instructor is talking about, or he shows them how fast he is. So they try to meet what they think is expected of them. More a matter of missed communication than anything else.

I'd have broken the reload sequence down into steps, and had the students do it by the numbers, gradually increasing the speed as they became comfortable with the technique.

I do see what you are saying.

I picked up some dummy rounds today. Now I can get some practice in. It would be good for my girl too.

John A. said:
I know a guy who just uses empty hulls with the star crimp cut off filled with either weatherproofing silicone, caulk, or hot glue type of fill.

Makes for cheap dummy shells, and have a little more (natural) weight to them than just a piece of molded plastic.

Just sayin' ;)

Good idea. I've even got about 20lbs of #7 shot I could use to get even closer to actual weight. :)

I looked for the tool ( I can't think I of the name ) to close up some spent shells. Checked a couple of local places and couldn't find anything.
Never thought of just filling them up with shot and silicon. Great idea!

Trying it out.
qujujary.jpg

:roll:
3skulls said:
I looked for the tool ( I can't think I of the name ) to close up some spent shells. Checked a couple of local places and couldn't find anything.
Never thought of just filling them up with shot and silicon. Great idea!

It is called a crimp tool

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/searchprods.asp

But for just making dummy rounds, as you saw, just cut the crimp off and fill with silicone.

It'll work just fine. :cool:

And you don't necessarily even have to use shot.

If you felt the need to add more weight, you can use gravels from the sidewalk or just about anything to get them to weigh more.

And they're cheaper than dummy rounds too. Especially if you have to order them from online and add shipping. :roll:

Well, are you happy with the way they work?

I'm going to let them cure for a couple of days then try them out.

Might be a little on the light side but they feel pretty good.

5aqegusy.jpg

With the clear hull and the white silicon, I figured that would help spot them as the dummies. Can't beat the price.

Those look really good. :cool:

You get a big thumbs up from me.

Snap caps work well. But they do breakdown from use.

I've taken 2 pistol courses last year.

Have a low/no light course in 2 weeks (indoors)

And depending on how fast my pinched nerve heals... A defensive shotgun course in April.

I'm also doing a few competitions this year. Should be fun.

If you haven't, get training. It's so much fun.

Great video and discussion. I, too, was figuring a way to use old hulls. Was going to use Great Stuff to fill them but I see the point of making them heavier. Plenty of silicon at work... ;-)

I need to practice a bit differently since I shoot south-paw. No one I know has a left-handed gun so I'll need to practice on a borrowed righty. Roll it to the left, grab from the side saddle by going under the receiver.

Good lessons in the video...

Back