• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tell me about what is your OLDEST reloadable brass

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I'm reloading a lot of .45Auto because it's my daily carry caliber. In my brass lineup is a bunch of WCC MATCH 61 cases that I have tumbled and reloaded over and over with no visible effect regarding the cartridge brass. I could photograph it but it just looks rather normal, like it'll go on forever!

I can't put my fingers on one but I do know that I have some .30 Carbine brass from the '40s and definitely some .45Auto that's older than some of you.

Whatcha Got??????????

:D

30-06 from the 60’s. They were originally AP and the primers were a bitch to get out but after that they were easy. Probably 6 reloads on them now and hardly any trimming needed so far.

I have a few .38 S&W cases that are of the balloon head type (primer pocket visable inside the bottom on the case). I'm guessing they are circa 1920's-1930's? Don't reload them much though....but then again I don't get to shoot much...
Mark

I have a few .38 S&W cases that are of the balloon head type (primer pocket visable inside the bottom on the case). I'm guessing they are circa 1920's-1930's? Don't reload them much though....but then again I don't get to shoot much...
Mark

Man, I'd love to see a pic, and some stories of what you shoot them in and how you put together the components.

Why don't you get to shoot much?

I have some 7.62x51 LC cases that are date stamped 58 and after tumbling they look absolutely gorgeous!

I don't shoot much because I live in Toledo, Ohio (hope to move someday LOL) and there are few places to shoot (legally LOL), without paying $20 and hour for an indoor pistol range, or joining a club, which I really don't have the cash for. I used to live in Alaska where it was legal, safe, and free to shoot in the gravel pit outside of town which was great!!!! So I get to shoot a couple times a year. When I was a teen in a small town in Ohio, there were more places to shoot, used to know people who lived outside of town, but that is not the case anymore. Until I have a decent job where I can join a club that has a range, shooting will be far and few.

I just shoot the .38 S&W in a WWII S&W M&P, a Webley & Scott Ltd. Mk.IV and a No.2 MkI**, nothing really exciting. Want to get a S&W Regulation Police or a Colt Police Positive in that cal. sooner or later.

I just used what ever lead bullets in 158 grain, or if I can afford to order 200 grain bullets and use Unique powder. Nothing outer limits.
Mark

Could you use some free 148-gr full-wadcutter or 158-gr semi-wadcutter bullets that you can load? They would be sized .358" if that matters.

I think it's cool that you shoot real classic guns. I do too. Always been a wood and steel kind of guy.

I grew up in a small Ohio town as well.

Last edited:
Mine is probably the .357 brass I bought when I bought my Taurus Revolver about 20-25 years ago.

I had some very old 30-06 rounds that my grandfather gave me but they were splitting around the base so I didn't keep any of them. I'm not even sure I know where the remaining rounds are or I still have them. They came in a bandoleer and were all held together in single stack clips of 5 rounds. They came with his Enfield 30-06 so they could have dated back to 1917 for all I know.

Oops, forgot about a public free range about a 45 minute drive away in Michigan, need to get off my bum and head up there soon. Got a 1936 Remington Model 11 16 gauge and a Mossberg 500 that I have not got too fire yet and think that might be a good stress relief LOL!!!

From what I've heard, there are quite a few people that use 148 grain wadcutters with the .38 S&W Case. Most of them talk about using the hollow base version, as they expand to grip the rifiling better. I've used 158 gain round nose a bit, I can't see why 158 grain Semi-Wadcutters would not work. When I load for the .38 S&W I try and use the larger sizes in the .359-.360-ish range, but have used .358 Magtec round nose and they worked just fine. Granted my shooting is adequet to say the least, as I don't get to shoot much. Maybe if these were fired by someone who knows what they are doing...their results would be very different LOL.

Growing up in a small Ohio town...yeah, been there done that...Thank God for letting me in the Navy and three years in So Cal!! LOL Gave me the yearning to explore and see that the World is a bigger place. I cannot wait to get out of Toledo, Ohio!!! But that will take time, I can accept that!! But God!!! How I miss seeing the Pacific Ocean!!! LOL

My interests in firearms...I guess I'm a wierdo as what appeals to me are the ones that were made/designed before the War. Most people my age (I'm 44) are into the M-16/AR-15/AK-47 scene etc. Me...I'd love to have a Savage Model 99, Magazine Lee-Metford Mk.II, or my latest rifle interest the Remington Model 8...LOL.
Mark

I have some 32-20 brass for my old Colt 32-20 pistol. The brass and left over ammo is from 1917 to 1920. The Gun, brass and ammo came from my grandfather. I still load the old brass with mild loads!

Next oldest brass is 38 Special REM-UMC from the 40's. Still loads with no problems.

My Great Grandfather killed a guy using a 32-20 Marlin 1894.

True story.

Back