• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Blessing of Good Parents

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I didn't write anything for Memorial Day this year but I wanted to, and the recent news reminded me how lucky I was as a child.

Maybe you didn't have much money, but if you had good parents you had a big advantage on everyone else who did not, irrespective of money or fame.

My father never really urged me in words to be a strong, proud American, or to work like a dog for what you need, or to support any political or American causes.

He never had to say a word.

What he did was all I needed to know.

He served, he achieved, he excelled, he was respected, he was honored, he was decorated, and he was rewarded.

He was exposed to radiation, exposed to Agent Orange, he was exposed to microwaves, and radar, and x-rays, and probably things they don't tell us about.

Then there was the shrapnel, the wounding and the long recovery.

Never once did he disparage the United States or our servicemen. I never heard him denigrate the people who he served, or served under, nor those who served under him.

I got physjcal discipline when I needed it, but Dad never had to abuse me, and I thank God for that.

Maybe people will walk by in the future and look at this bronze plate, and think to themselves "Look what a warmonger this guy must have been. Three Wars? He just couldn't get enough!"

Screenshot_20160527-134620.jpg
...yet he was quiet spoken and peaceful never once did I see him in violent or underserved anger with another person.

Well I can't do anything about that. The only thing left to me is to carry on the tradition that he respected.

Thanks to all the American fathers whose memory we will serve without conscious thought, because they were such good parents.

20161102_075858.jpg

Back