1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

To Flex or not to Flex

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Pump Action' started by butodw, Sep 5, 2017.

1. DevRogue

DevRogue Copper BB

Tombstone Tactical out of AZ, shotty shipped from Louisiana. already emailed them and Mossberg; highly doubt barrel was swapped out prior to shipping as the Flex 500 comes in its own REALLY NICE carrying bag.

what made it more confusing was the #50124's website pic vs the "high res download" pic showing the former without porting and the latter with porting.

Hence the question is, whoever has a #50124 out there, did it come with porting?

If it did, then there's definitely no chance barrel was swapped as #50124 and #55117 are the only two tan 28" barrels out there.
    If it didn't, either my #55117 got swapped with a #50124 or Mossberg simply makes the #50124 and throws in the extra short barrel, grip, foreend, and bag and call it a #55117.

granted its from their 2012 promo, but you can clearly see porting at 3:32:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. DevRogue

DevRogue Copper BB

Just got this back from the manufacturer....no more ported barrels from Mossberg!

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we no longer port any of our barrels at all and no longer have the mechanisms in which to port. If you provide me with the serial number of the firearm I can verify which model you have.
    We do apologize for any inconveniences these pictures may have caused, these are used a general guide and my marketing team is working on new pictures to avoid this in the future. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Customer Service Team
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
  3. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

I'm a little late to this but you can swap your mag tube and barrel with that from an 835, 535 or 500. (You will still be limited to 3" shells.)

I use a 500 slug barrel on my 835 with no issues.
  4. DevRogue

DevRogue Copper BB

thanks, seems like Mossberg won't be porting any of their barrels, including the 835 and 535. curious if any recent owners of either models with advertised ported barrels can chime in.

i bought it more for a nice cosmetic feature...reading up about it it's not that necessary for my uses. just sad that Mossberg can't update their page to state something that key.
  5. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

I have ported and non ported barrels. I primarily use them for hunting so the only difference I notice is an increase in sound, esp.when shooting turkeys out of an enclosed tent/blind.

There are many places out there that can port them for you if that is important. You can even do it yourself with a little patience and tool skill. Some extended choke tubes have porting cut into them as well.
    LTB45 likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider .410 Premier Member

Door number 3 for the win!
  7. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

I just pulled the trigger on on model 55117 from Cabelas. The picture clearly shows a 28" ported barrel. Once I get it in my hands I'll send some pics. I'm not too concerned. It would be nice to have them but it's not a must have.

I'm going to make a promise to myself that this will be the last mossy pump I buy (it's my forth)!!!
  8. Insider

That's a nice combo, get a nice 20" vent ribbed barrel for it, I found the 28" barrel keeps bumping into things.
    BEFORE:[​IMG]
    AFTER:[​IMG]
  9. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

Insider, I'll have to get it out on the course and see. Good to know there are many options. I do get a 18.5" barrel (no chokes) as part of the package. Does the 20" come with chokes??
  10. Insider

Yes, it came with the screw in chokes, I set mine to modified.
  11. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

Insider this is good to know - thanks!