1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Tool/spanning wrench for forend nut removal

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by BoBo522, Feb 22, 2020.

1. BoBo522

BoBo522 .22LR

Would anyone please recommend a removal tool/spanning wrench to take off the nut holding the forend on? I went to replace the stock forend with the new Streamlight racker and realized I didn't have anything that would fit properly.
  2. Caswell Ranch

Caswell Ranch .22LR

If you PM your address I will send one, when you are done just send it back.
    uncle00buck and DertyJoe like this.
  3. BoBo522

BoBo522 .22LR

Appreciate the offer, but I’d rather have my own for future needs. I found a couple on Amazon that claim to do the job. Can you tell me where you got yours?
  4. Caswell Ranch

Caswell Ranch .22LR

It came with a Magpul MOE forend and stock I got for a 18.5 590A1, made of plastic but I've used it for years.
  5. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

try this,,,
    removing forend nut.jpg
    fellmann likes this.
  6. Caswell Ranch

Caswell Ranch .22LR

The ring sets deep on the TL-Racker forend so a bar would have to be the exact width of the ring (nut), with the tube type tool just remove the barrel and change the plastic no need to disassemble beyond that (tube type tool slides over mag tube).
  7. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter

For me, there is no need for a tool :D On my 590A1 i use the back of my knife.
    Should work on the Shockwave as long as you remove forend from the mag tube
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  8. BoBo522

BoBo522 .22LR

9. hombre243

hombre243 .30-06 Elite Member

That looks like a tool I may get sometime. It will keep the wrong tool from messin up a nice finish if per chance you want to switch back to the original, or do more Modifications. I like it.
    fellmann likes this.
  10. Caswell Ranch

Caswell Ranch .22LR

The TL-Racker puts the ring nut in the forend just like the middle picture on the amazon link shown below (i see it's Remington but it's the same setback). The type ordered is correct. THE NEW FOREND COVERS MOST OF THE BARREL RING AND LIGHT LENS IS FLUSH WITH THAT RING.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  11. BoBo522

BoBo522 .22LR

Tool arrived today and was exactly what was called for. 10 minutes to do the swap. Thanks again folks for the help and advice.
    Mr. Firearm likes this.
  12. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I should make one of these. Nobody in town had one, so I actually just made mine from an old kitchen fork.
    I removed the middle prongs, bent the outer prongs down, then ground them to fit.
    But one made from a tube would be superior.
    Smashing Pumpkins likes this.
  13. Warhammer

Warhammer .410

I'm surprised Magpul doesn't sell their forend tool separately.
  14. Mr. Firearm

Mr. Firearm .410

BoBo522 likes this.
  15. Smashing Pumpkins

Smashing Pumpkins .410

Sorry for the necropost. I discovered this thread this afternoon when I wanted to take the forend nut off my 500. I didn't want to wait for Amazon, so I looked around the garage for something I could use. Put this together in a few minutes:

Forend Wrench 1.jpg

It's a hole saw, with nails stuck through the holes where some arbors have outriggers. I tightened the arbor nut down on the nail heads and it was just wide enough to clamp them down. Would have been even better if I had an appropriately sized washer at hand, but I didn't.

Forend Wrench 2.jpg

Worked great. Shifted forend nut in about ten seconds.
  16. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

977B5E21-E792-4A31-8285-CE9131F92F9E.jpeg
    OK here’s my bent fork model but it doesn’t fit if the nut is recessed too far into your forearm.
  17. Smashing Pumpkins

Smashing Pumpkins .410

Very nice CaddmannQ, it's like a retirement job for that old fork. Fewer hours work, but higher value. For my tool, it's more like a part-time gig. I can dissemble and the components can go back to their day job, then reassemble when needed.
    fellmann likes this.
  18. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Thank you Mossback.

I still intend to make one out of a piece of tubing, which will be extremely simple, but I haven’t been out shooting enough to bother cleaning my gun.

Not at all in fact. Everyone of my guns is scrubbed, oiled down and ready, but I am engaged on a long list of delayed projects I am attempting to catch up on.
    fellmann likes this.
  19. Durango42

Durango42 Copper BB

I purchased a TL-RACKER for my shockwave .When I tried to use it the pins that fit retainer nut were to big so I had to remove some material to make it fit. After that everything was a piece of cake
    fellmann likes this.
  20. m-forgery

m-forgery WESCOG Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing Elite Member

Attached Files:

meanstreak, Mr. Firearm and fellmann like this.