• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

trouble with new 930 spx

hi folks,having some trouble with my new toy and this looks like the place to figure it out....i was aware that these need a break in period so i went to the range with a variety of factory ammo ranging from winchester cheapo target loads to remy slugs and magnum buck and some winchesr milspec 00 buck...my trouble is this....the rounds are not being forced out of the mag tube properly...with tube fully loaded the first 2-3 seem to work better but after that you have to shake and pry the shells out...when empty the follower is not visible in the reciever but hiding up in the tube somewhere....the spring is 35-1/2 inches long and did look kind of kinked up(seems like pretty thin steel but i'm not an expert here.....i called mossberg and the less than enthusiastic rep said he would send be a new spring in 4-6 weeks!!!!....assuming it is the spring is there a top quality replacement i can buy??..doesn't look like wolffe makes one...i also was looking at a stainless follower which is also red for improved visiblity which makes more sense also...i hate to have to invest a ton of money in this thing ,it wasn't cheap to begin with...serial # is af0615xx...maybe an older nerw in box purchase..in case they have made any changes...thanks folks,scott

I had a similar issue. I cleaned out the mag tube real well and I oiled the follower. That seemed to have worked.

thanks,giving the whole works a good cleaning as we speak...i have to say,when i get this issue resolved this will be a sweet shooter.....besides this problem it shot very well,slugs were dead accurate and not too bad on the shoulder...i'm a lefty and the hulls went forward and right...i have high hopes but i do need this to be reliable..hope it won't be 4-6 weeks for a spring though....the mag tube and follower are going to get the mil-tech treatmeny too-scott

Let's us know if that did the trick. It's a sweet gun once it sorts itself out. She likes to be clean to work properly so I usually clean her after each outing which is usually 200 rounds or more. She started to get finicky around the 300 round mark before a cleaning.

I have heard of binding issues where the mag extension meets the mag tube. Some of the mating surfaces not quite lining up. You might also look to see if your mag extension or tube is kinked anyplace.

well,my range time is limited so i went ahead and ordered a wolfe spring and a teflon coated follower to be on the safe side...i will report back...i didn't see and dents in the tubes or feel any burrs......i read choate mag tubes are an issue,if so how do i tell if this is a choate made tube???...i know this is not a $2000 gun or anything but i would like to think an A merican made gun should be correct out of the box...the rep acted like this was the first time it had ever happened but thats obviously far from the truth....keeping my fingers crossed because as i said,when it shoots it's nice!-scott

forgot to ask what is the exact length i should trim the wolfe spring down to...seems like a lot of different lenghts out there!

First. Unscrew the Magazine extension. Don't worry about if it's a Choate or not. (It's a Choate.) Now throw it over your left shoulder. Do the same with the Mag Spring.

You may keep the follower or get a new one. The Mossberg factory follower is really not that big a problem. in fact the factory follower is quite a bit better than the Short S&J Hardware abortion of a plastic follower. I personally like the GG&G stainless and aluminum Hi-vis, tactile follower. (Just order the one for the 870 Rem.)

Install the wollff Hi power spring. Cut to size.

Order and install Nordic Components Magazine extension. (See Magazine Extension tacked thread. Which should have answered these question already.)

Problem solved.

Glad you ordered the Wolff spring. I have used them for many years on many builds and I am sure you will find them to be a superior upgrade. Because they are 15 to 20% stronger than the original spring, they do not need to be as long. My SPX is currently running with a 28" spring and a Wilson follower and is like butter. You may find you may need to trim down a little further to get a 7th shell in. In any case, be sure to file the end after trimming to remove any burrs and use a pair of pliers to bend the end up and in somewhat to prevent gouging or scraping the interior of your mag tube.
Cheers...

i will keep the nordic + 2 and xl cap in mind...i'll try the new spring first and give it a good test..i hate to drop $80 bucks if i don't have too.....just after a good cleaning and oiing,the shells all manually eject smoothly with out the follower getting hung at all so i am encouraged..i realize the results may not be the same under recoil though...scott

One other tip to consider was presented by another member on a different thread.
He took the original follower and sanded the sharp edge on the shoulder all the way around and polished the entire follower and reported good results. Makes sense to me.
Just another option in our bag of tricks to combat this potentially disastrous problem which has plagued so many of us.
Best...

Skinsfan
i hate to drop $80 bucks if i don't have too.

You do have to. I'm sorry but its just as simple as that.

Myself and others who are pretty salty with the shotgun on this board, are not telling you this because we secretly are getting a kickback from Nordic, or that we just get a kick out of watching you spend money at our recommendation. We're telling you this because the we want the shotgun you've selected and already spent about $700.00 on. Too be reliable. Reliable enough to bet your life on.

You can say.."Oh I just bought it as a toy." "My life will never depend on it." but that's a cop out. If that were the case you'd of bought a buck or bird optimized shotgun. The fact is that range toys can suddenly become life saving tools in the space in time of a single afternoon and if that ever happens to you. You won't have time to send off for a part for the shotgun, who's tube you don't trust.

If you have to give up doing any modification other than the Wolff Spring...give it up. In order to change out that Choate Tube. it's the single most important upgrade you will ever preform on you 930 SPX. Period.

point made,i have no questions as to the motivation behind your advice........i'm assuming that some folks on this board have lots of dealings with mossberg....why would a reputable company continue to put crap on an otherwise good weapon?????....just seems wrong...doesn't really matter at this point i guess but still would like to know...i know there are die hard mossy fans here and do not wish to offend...two questions remain...1-best place to purchase a nordic and does anyone use the wolfe springs with it or is the nordic spring equal to or better-thanks again-scott

Couple of items from my point of view.
1) It would be hard to do better than Wolff springs. Does not matter if it is a $4K custom .45 or a SPX.
2) You may or May Not need to go to a after market mag extension after upgrading your spring and follower. Why not test your weapon after installing them? In my case the fix was achieved without spending the extra money on the after market mag extension. In fact, I was confindant enough that the issue was behind me that I had the original extension Duracoated along with the rest of my SPX after having my King Armory breacher-muzzle brake installed. That should say something.

Who knows why Mossberg continues doing some of the things they do. They have had a long history of half assing many of the quality control issues. If it were not for the efforts of many of the members here, in particular m24Shooter in the early days, they probably would not have gotten better at all. In fairness to them in my case, I have been treated reasonably well with my first generation issues.
Hope it goes better for you.
Regards...

UPDATE---well i have some good news!!!...got my wolfe spring and trimmed it down to 28 inches..tried to install the nordic teflon coated follower but it is obviously not intended for ext mag tubes...the grooves will barely fit pass the end of the factory tube...so in the trash witth that piece of junk(it may not have been designed for it ,i do not know for sure)..so using the factory follower and new spring in a thourughly cleaned gun i ran just over a 100 rnds at the range without a hiccup!..what a pleasure it was to shoot...3inch mgnums hurt a bit,but ran slugs,3 types of 00 buck and even a box and a half of cheapo low brass winny target loads.....next outing will be with at least that many rounds and several varieties to see what patterns best...so far s&b beat out the remington gren/yellow box and the winchester mil spes 00 buck....any suggestions will be appreciated in this dept...thanks folks

Glad to hear that new spring has helped! Pretty sure it would. Of the three followers I have tried, I prefer the Wilson's best. They do not have a Mossberg 930 specific, get the Remington 870 follower if you are interested and you will be just fine. I passed my test results on to their tech's in the early days so they should be up to speed on the compatibility factor should you speak to them. They are a class act all the way and have been for years.
Regards,

OK, i have the 930 PSX newest generation. I had to cut my spring (bits at a time) and now it is flawless even with the "out of true" Choate extension. I feel the main problem is too much initial mag spring tension. The shell release tab spring is waaaay to weak. I removed that part (shell realease tab) and found it to be a bit rough. After sanding and polishing it seems a bit smoother but the spring is still too weak. It's a fine line so take you time cutting the mag spring, loading & testing. I ordered the Nordic Comp mag extension to get one more round in. NO GO!!!! not only doesn't the 8 1/2 " extension add to the capacity, the spring it comes with is way too strong. Cutting it down will help but the other two major problems are as follows. Where the NC extension meets the factory mag tube the joint is not a smooth transition and the follower binds at that point leaving you with no tension on shells in tube. Other issue is when I attach my NC barrel clamp the gap between barrel and mag tube is very close and the barrel clamp bolts rub on both barrel and NC mag tube. DO ANY OF THESE COMPANIES ACTUALLY TEST THIS S**T BEFORE OFFERING IT UP TO THE PUBLIC!!!!. Back to the original setup and will stop trying to improve this shotgun. It is what it is and works as good as can be expected. Seems Mossberg could have spent just a little time with small issues that would make this the best (for the money) tactical autoloader out there.

mtbkrman said:
OK, i have the 930 PSX newest generation. I had to cut my spring (bits at a time) and now it is flawless even with the "out of true" Choate extension. I feel the main problem is too much initial mag spring tension. The shell release tab spring is waaaay to weak. I removed that part (shell realease tab) and found it to be a bit rough. After sanding and polishing it seems a bit smoother but the spring is still too weak. It's a fine line so take you time cutting the mag spring, loading & testing. I ordered the Nordic Comp mag extension to get one more round in. NO GO!!!! not only doesn't the 8 1/2 " extension add to the capacity, the spring it comes with is way too strong. Cutting it down will help but the other two major problems are as follows. Where the NC extension meets the factory mag tube the joint is not a smooth transition and the follower binds at that point leaving you with no tension on shells in tube. Other issue is when I attach my NC barrel clamp the gap between barrel and mag tube is very close and the barrel clamp bolts rub on both barrel and NC mag tube. DO ANY OF THESE COMPANIES ACTUALLY TEST THIS S**T BEFORE OFFERING IT UP TO THE PUBLIC!!!!. Back to the original setup and will stop trying to improve this shotgun. It is what it is and works as good as can be expected. Seems Mossberg could have spent just a little time with small issues that would make this the best (for the money) tactical autoloader out there.

Dang

Sent from my iPhone 5

mtbkrman said:
What follower are you trying to use?

Factory follower....FYI, great response from Nordic comp. Called me next morning and ok'd return of tube. He had a very good point saying the 930 is good depending on the day (or hour) it was made..and that's the big question "QUALITY CONTROL". I asked about the Nordic follower and his reply was "sometimes the customer gets a great result and sometimes not". Again depends on the shotgun. I'll send it back and give up on the idea. Mine runs flawlessly with the orginal Choate (Out of true) extender. This shotgun build is lame, i won't even say inconsistant because the problems with it are all easy fixes but shouldn't have even made it out the door. I mean really how much more money would it have cost these asses (mossberg) to ensure small parts (Springs/fit) were good?

I hear ya. Please give some consideration to checking out the Wilson Combat follower for a Remington 870 as a replacement for the original follower. Yours may work now, but if anything compromises your mag tube, carbon fouling build up, mud, grime, ice, a small ding in the mag tube etc, that original follower is going to fail you.
Best...

Back