• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unusual ejection port wear on 930 SPX

Banxj502

Copper BB
I picked up a lightly used 930 SPX Blackwater a few weeks ago and i noticed some off wear on the front corners of the ejection port. There is a slight burr on both corners. Ive put around 50 rounds through it so far, no problems at all but the wear doesnt look normal to me. Anyone else see this before and is it something i should contact Mossberg about?

Also, being the blackwater model im not sure how to tell what generation it is? The front sight isnt the typical LPA sight tower so i cant use that as a generation reference.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mossberg Owner from E TN.
Could you post a pictures of the wear on the port? That would help us diagnose your concerns.

X2 on the picture of the port wear and throw up a pic of your front sight too! And oh, welcome to the site!

Appreciate the welcoming.

Ive tried 3 times to upload pics of the port and front sight, for some reason its not working for me? It loads to 100% then thats all it does?

I will create a photobucket account and use that to get some photos up.

Pix from Banxj502's photo bucket

20160605_112421_zpspvdaotuk.jpg

20160605_112456_zpswpjcier4.jpg

20160605_112433_zps9yqx1nfb.jpg

20160605_112518_zpsdvqgq3gi.jpg

20160605_112506_zpsnp8hnbmn.jpg

20160605_112547_zpsnytzalim.jpg

When I am working from a computer I just right-click on a pic and choose Copy Image from the dropdown menu. Then paste the image into the Reply box.
I can't help you with phone uploads...
Hope that helps.

I have no idea on the marks at the port. As for the front sight, looks just like mine on my BW edition. Mine was mfg. 3/2014. I do believe mine is latest generation of the BW editions.

While I noticed the wear in your photos, and I have no idea what could have caused it short of something in its' previous life, but I wouldn't sweat it at this point. If it gets worse, then I would start trying to find out why. Otherwise, that area is not going to cause any function issues. But like I said, there is essentially nothing but plastic hull that would come into contact with that area, and we both know that isn't going to gouge aluminum.

My bet is something the previous owner did. Cleaning rod crammed in there or the gun sliding across the tailgate into the gravels or ????

Shoot it.

If you have a phone with video capability, have someone record your gun ejecting a variety of shells. Some combinations of extractor and shell tolerances (usually 3" in a 3" gun) will bounce the base of the shell back into the front of the receiver as it ejects. It more often hits the bolt as it returns, but if the gun is running sluggish it will hit the edge of the loading port instead. Steel base shells will ding up an aluminum receiver quite easily. Aluminum base shells will typically only wear the anodizing.

You can see how close this is to happening as the gun cycles, even on a properly running gun as shown in the opening sequence of our videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=f-9_K3VQhZM

Nothing to worry about if the gun is otherwise functioning properly.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Back