• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"Wet Pack" as a ballistic test media?

Tom396

.30-06
Here's an example of "wet pack"

It's newspaper soaked in water. Is this in some way better than just using water? Seems as though it would make for a bigger clean up, afterwards. Think rounds would travel a shorter distance if there if is newspaper in there, instead of just water? Anybody here tried it? Take care. Tom Worthington

All of this sort of thing is good for comparison testing of various bullets/loads out of the same gun, but should not be viewed as definitive in terms of live body effectiveness in either expansion or penetration. That includes ballistic gel per FBI specs. As long as you understand that, then you're good to go - except for the mess it makes. ;)

I set up a box 'o truth using pine boards a while back which makes less of a mess, but serves the same comparison purposes. You could do the same with this, just hammer together a simple box to put the soaked paper in to contain the splash.

Last edited:
yeah, its a bigger pain than water .
Its another way to compare rounds to each other as far as penetrating wet news paper and recovering a bullet to see how it expands in wet news paper nothing more, same thing with water.
Hard to call that ballistics. Gives you an idea of the power of a load and that one will more likely penetrate further than another of the came cartridge but that's about it.
Throw in cloths , fat, muscle , pumping blood, bones, motion....I don't think wet news paper quite stacks up

Do ya'll think it will at least provide more resistance to penetration than plain water? I'd like to be able to destroy fewer containers. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back