• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What gun vise does everyone use?

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I am looking to pick up a gun vise as I am setting up a work station in my house and would love to hear others input...

Well, besides the old reliable vise that just about everyone has bolted to the end of their workbench...this one has an anvil attached.

drumsandervise.jpg

http://www.drumsanders.net/visesclamps-c-65_80.html

===============================================================

...I also have a firearm specific one from Cabela's that I got on sale...made by Hyskore

HYSKOREGUNVISE.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... ance/Vises

I've looked through the Midway catalogue and have seen some fairly inexpensive ones, but also not as fancy as the one right above this post!

I dont have one yet...

Thanks Rossignol !...I liked the peg board idea because that's what I have behind my big work bench to keep the tools handy...

I have the gun vise setup to one side, and when I need it...I just move the whole setup to the bench top, and start workin' !! ;)

====================================================================

Standard vice with two peaces of plywood cut to fit over the screw housing and long enough to come up above the jaws, foam attached to that with a rag over the foam is all that was used in the gun shop I worked at. When I need a vice for a gun I just sandwich it in a bunch of rags…..but I am a compulsive improviser.

Nothing wrong with that...Improvisation is the American way !!

A couple of my buddies really like their Tipton Best Vises. I've been working on guns for nearly 40 years with no specific gun vise.

The Tipton is what I have looked at for around $100. Fairly basic and a decent product that does the job its supposed to do!

Oli, I too am all about using what I have on hand and makin stuff work! I'm usually too cheap to spend money on myself, Jenny and the kids get it!

Shooter, I love that setup! By far one of the nicest I've seen, and I really like having the space there to organize!!!

I have an old army vice from Fort MacArthur in San Pedro,CA. Army green and has the anvil as well. It looks just like the one shooter posted. I also put some rubber strips onto two aluminum pieces of angle (looks like an L from the side) and that works for me. If I need more padding, I'll use another strip of 1/4" rubber. Also, I have it mounted to a 12"x12" 1/2" thick steel plate so I can use it anywhere or attach it to my bench via 4 bolt holes on each corner. And..It's friggin heavy!!

I got a great deal on a set of Wagner Magnetic Soft Jaws http://www.wagnerind.com/softjaws.asp
ph_softjaws_pistol.jpg

They do a great job on everything short of trying to seriously muscle sights out of a really stubborn dovetail. If you need to bring the thunder they have too much give and absorb too much energy. But for holding stuff for running an extractor, or normal work, they work great. They have flat ones, which I have, and they have channeled ones. too. Not cheap. But I got mine 40% off.

I cant tell from the pic, but do they screw into the vice jaws? In the 2 screw holes in the inside? If so, I might have to go online and see more pix of it and make some of my own...

I do not have a regular gun vice but have the typical 4 inch bench vice with anvil, 5 heads for my Pana-Vice bases, 1 vacuum base, one mounted on a movable base plate, and one mounted to my work bench. Of the 5 bases, I have one with steel jaws, two with soft jaws, one that opens to about 6 inches with rubber grips and one that holds circuit boards, I also have a 2 inch and a 4 inch flat vices for milling or drilling work. Plus bigger vises for bigger jobs.

I really like the Pana-Vise system for versatility and portability. A some point I want to get a lead sled for scope and sighting work.

Attachments

• PanaVise.jpg
    PanaVise.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 423
ripjack13 said:
I cant tell from the pic, but do they screw into the vice jaws? In the 2 screw holes in the inside? If so, I might have to go online and see more pix of it and make some of my own...

It's the space age son! Them there rubbery jaws is attached to MAGNETS! Not the strongest magnets in the world, but they pretty much hold the inserts in place when the vise jaws are open.

Nice vice. Great write up Dan.

Here's my vice.

PQ03Tl.jpg

^^^^^the two black pads on the left are rubber backed carpet...

xR5tul.jpg

^^^^^ my rubber faced angle.

I don't have a gun vise but my woodworking vise serves just fine the few times I needed it for gun work.

My vise mounts under the workbench and currently have soft MDF (multi density fibreboard) jaws. I can put whatever type of jaws I want in there. The vise has plenty of holding strenght plus a quick release.
ShopFoxVise.jpg

Workbench. Notice the vise mounts under the workbench instead of on top.
MyWorkBench1.jpg

Back