• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who here has hunted with their 464?

Got a deer with the 464

Finally killed a deer with the Mossberg 464. It was a 7 point whitetail buck. Killed this morning (11/21/2011) at about 9am. I used the Marble Bullseye rear sight. It is sweet!!

The range was about 50 yards to the deer.

Used 170 grain Hornady Flat Point bullets. Hit it just ahead of the left front shoulder. It ran about 50 yards and collapsed. The heart and lungs were jelly!!

deer.jpg

Good hunting!!

Bill

Re: Got a deer with the 464

Nice shot and nice buck! Be sure to post it up in the thread over in the Hunting section.

Hello all I am new to this forum and was interested in getting a 464 brush gun, I knew I had to have one the second I first saw one. I like what what I see from the pictures and I have yet to handle one and look at one up close, even more so I cannot wait till I can go buy one for myself. SO how many on here have hunted with the 464 30-30, it doesn't neccesarily have to be the brush gun variation, but just the 464 in general. I am curious to see what you guys thought of it's accuracy, reliability, and overall function of the gun.I am curious as to what ya'll think cause I think that the 464 would make an excellent truck/ranch gun even more so a hunting rifle for both deer and hogs. I like the finish of the marine coat as it will stand up the weather as well as it's short barrel making it an ideal candidate for a truck gun also the compact size of it will make it more easily to move around in a deer blind. Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your posts and see ya'll take on the 464.

Just picked mine up this week, so haven't shot it at anything yet. Your post mentioned hogs....that's why I wanted one.....something to carry w/ me on the farm. Lots of hogs in NE Tx....

Re: RE: Who here has hunted with their 464?

I read an article recently on the .30-.30 and the author had taken many deer out to 175 yds. with his iron sighted 464

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Sorry I haven't been on here that frequent, I haven't really had time nor internet access in awhile but thought i'd drop in and check things out... Mossybloke. Do you happen to know where you read that article, the name, or where you read it? it sounds interesting and i'd like to see if I can find it foir a good read. I thought I saw an article recently in Peterson's Hunting, if I'm not mistaken about hunting with the mossber30-30 carbine. If I happen to see it on the magazine rack again I'll have to pick it up. lonestarjeff, I know what you mean. I'd like to get my hands on one to hunt both deer and hogs.. You mention carring your around on the farm with you, that's part of the appeal I liked the short 464 brush gun, I believe that with that you short it would make and easy to carry handle truck and rancg gun, also the compactness of it would make it ideal to manuevure in a cramped south texas blind. If anyone has had any luck this deer season getting a deer, hog or any other game with your rifle please feel free to post them....

I have found that the SPX has one draw back (so far). Sitting in a tree stand or on the ground with the rifle on your lap, the stock release has a nasty habit of unlocking. If you don't notice this, when you raise the rifle the stock slides forward. Inconvenient.

Back