• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why not a amibextrious forend release?

Title says all.

Just thinking aloud here.

Why hasn't Mossberg or anyone else decided to make a shotgun receiver with a universal forend release? (and if someone does I'm not aware of it, my apology up front)

I don't see why someone can't either a. relocate the release on the top of the receiver or b. make it pop out on both sides right behind the bottom of the receiver behind the trigger area.

Mossberg chose user friendliness with the safety location for us southpaws, why not with the forend release. With all the popularity of pistol grips/stock configurations and folks griping about the forend release loaction when using em and what not I can't see why someone hasn't thought of this.

Anyhow, just ranting and thinking out loud here. They came up with the flex system and all that, great wonderful. But why not a universal forend release. Alot of firearms especially pistols these days are ambi friendly with safeties, slide stop and mag releases on both sides. Why not the shotgun pump release too?

YMMV as usual.

jgwills said:
Title says all.

Just thinking aloud here.

Why hasn't Mossberg or anyone else decided to make a shotgun receiver with a universal forend release? (and if someone does I'm not aware of it, my apology up front)

I don't see why someone can't either a. relocate the release on the top of the receiver or b. make it pop out on both sides right behind the bottom of the receiver behind the trigger area.

Mossberg chose user friendliness with the safety location for us southpaws, why not with the forend release. With all the popularity of pistol grips/stock configurations and folks griping about the forend release loaction when using em and what not I can't see why someone hasn't thought of this.

Anyhow, just ranting and thinking out loud here. They came up with the flex system and all that, great wonderful. But why not a universal forend release. Alot of firearms especially pistols these days are ambi friendly with safeties, slide stop and mag releases on both sides. Why not the shotgun pump release too?

YMMV as usual.

Good question. Maybe some technical reason, although I can't imagine what that might be. I don't think they offer a lefty receiver either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

As a lefty, I like the Mossberg 500 action release lever; I find it convenient to operate by pressing upward with my left middle finger while gripping the gun normally. I have a standard stock. A lefty receiver would have been nice though.

,,,, south paw here also. i would have to ASSUME it's the price of redoing the trigger assembly. same with the receiver. COST. :)
they have one of the top selling low cost shotguns on the market..........go with it.

Having been a 870 owner for many many years I have grown to like their release lever location. I started picking up Mossbergs due to their safety location.

While I'd love to see one gun encompass everything, the current options justify owning a few of everything to cover all the bases. :twisted: :twisted:

Man.. I just pick it up and shoot... ;)

I can understand though that slide release location can really be a problem.. that is why I didn't get an 870... I know someone here has a thread with a custom, home made, slide release... Maybe try something like that

I just tried my Short Arm release as if shooting with my left hand on my pistol grip, just taking my index out if the trigger well, and moving it up, engages the release... So I guess I kinda have one that'll work if anyones interested...

Back