• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why the difference

mbpe912

Copper BB
Why is the capacity so different between the Blackhawk and SPX models than that of the 930 combo gun? BBL seem to be about the same...

Also who makes a ghost sight aftermarket I can you on a 940 combo gun?

mbpe912 said:
Why is the capacity so different between the Blackhawk and SPX models than that of the 930 combo gun? BBL seem to be about the same...

Also who makes a ghost sight aftermarket I can you on a 940 combo gun?

Welcome to MO! Glad to have you.

The barrel doesn't make a difference in capacity, that would be the magazine. The combo doesn't have a magazine extension while the other two do. You can add a mag extension to the combo to increase capacity, though. Be sure to check any local and state laws pertaining to mag capacity

Yes that I understand, I looked at the SPX 8 shot Item #85370 18"bbl and they are able to get a long enough tube to hold 7+1 however with my combo if I had a plus 3 tube I will be past the end of the bbl? What is different about the gun?

No need to worry about the capacity I am in a Free State (Fl)

mbpe912 said:
Yes that I understand, I looked at the SPX 8 shot Item #85370 18"bbl and they are able to get a long enough tube to hold 7+1 however with my combo if I had a plus 3 tube I will be past the end of the bbl? What is different about the gun?

The 8 shot and 7+1 are one in the same as they both add up to 8 rounds total capacity. I don't know why they write them up like this; it is confusing and I often see differences in how they are described.

MikeD said:
mbpe912 said:

The 8 shot and 7+1 are one in the same as they both add up to 8 rounds total capacity. I don't know why they write them up like this; it is confusing and I often see differences in how they are described.

I guess my question is this, why does the 7 round tube not stick out past the bbl yet it I added a +3 extension I would be past the end of the BBL. What is different between the guns that allows them to get a longer tube on the 7 shot as opposed to the combo model?

mbpe912 said:
MikeD said:
mbpe912 said:

I guess my question is this, why does the 7 round tube not stick out past the bbl yet it I added a +3 extension I would be past the end of the BBL. What is different between the guns that allows them to get a longer tube on the 7 shot as opposed to the combo model?

The +3 would make it a 9 round (8+1)

Maybe I'm not completely understanding the question

Which specific models are you comparing?

mbpe912 said:
I have the combo model and it has a 4 round tube...
crazy thing is... there are models of the 930 that both dont have a magazine extension tube (like your combo model) yet one is 5 rounds and the other 4.

I dont know if this is due to a difference in springs, followers or caps on the end of the mag tube, but either way...

...if you add a choate +2 or nordic +2 to a stock 930, put in an aftermarket spring cut to 28" and a standard size follower, aftermarket or not.... and you'll hold 7+1 capacity and not go beyond the end of any of the 18.5" barrels.

One CAN also safely have a mag extension that is longer than the barrel. Even with a cyl bore the spread of shot cone will travel farther than a 2-3" extension.

shotgun_training4.jpg

This guy is clearly not hitting his mag extension. :eek:

Some of my reading/postings have me confused here.

I want to get a combo. It will come stock as a 5 shot (4+1). I want to get a mag extension to get me to 8 shot (7+1). Why would this 8 shot mag tube be longer than the 18.5" barrel when the factory's 8 shot mag tube is not longer than the 18.5" barrel?

Will this gun be reliable enough to use for home defense or is this a toy that needs constant tinkering to make it work while the bad guy cleans my clock?

Thanks

TigerShark said:
I want to get a mag extension to get me to 8 shot (7+1). Why would this 8 shot mag tube be longer than the 18.5" barrel when the factory's 8 shot mag tube is not longer than the 18.5" barrel?

Not sure, but the answer to that question is probably why most folks can't fit 7 rounds in the tube with the factory extensions.

TigerShark said:
Will this gun be reliable enough to use for home defense or is this a toy that needs constant tinkering to make it work while the bad guy cleans my clock?

Thanks

My 930 has been 100% reliable from the start, but some others haven't had the same luck. As with ANY other brand of semi-auto shotgun it's hit or miss. Would I trust my life to mine after sending 100's of rounds down the barrel? Yes I would. Like any other machine it needs to be tested and proven, but you won't know for sure until you have it in your hands...

The 930 in either the Home Defense, SPX or Door Breacher models, all of which come with an 18.5" barrel, have a standard 4+1 configuration. When I purchased my 930 SPX, I got a bonus and had a two round entension on it an the 5th round plug removed. So my magazine tube would hold 7 rounds plus one more in the chamber makes a total of 8 rounds. If ghost loaded it will hold a total of 9 rounds. the +2 extension tube will stop just before the end of the barrel. I am about to change it to a +3 round extension to make a 8+1 normal capacity or when ghost loaded have 10 rounds in it. With this extension tube it will go past the end of the barrel about 2 inches max...

With any new 930 you will need to run at least 100 rounds through it to soften the springs up and then give it a good deep cleaning to get the residual packing grease out of it...

Hope this helps TigerShark...

Back