• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

winchester 333 bulk pack 22lr. hollow point failure.

Last week I picked up a box Winchester 333 22lr hollow point bulk pack at Bass. I took it to the range with my son yesterday and it was the worst ammo I have ever used in 41 years of shooting. My son's Mossberg 464 lever action 22LR has shot thousands of roumds of everything we have fed it until the Win 333 was used. 4 out of 10 rounds would not extract. I tried cycling the bolt to grab the empty case and the rims would just give. It took a small screw driver and a lot of effort to get the empties out. I would have used a cleaning rod if one had been handy. I loaded two mags for my Ruger MKII and it failed to extract 10 out of 10. That's 100% failure in the semi-auto and 40% failure in the lever action. After that we went thru about 400 rounds using Remington Thunderbolts, Remington subsonics and Federals after without a single problem. Heck, if a lever action that are mostly fail safe will not extract empties then that ammo is useless in my book. This junk is only good for use as a paper wieght. If Winchestet 333 22lr hollow point is all that is on the gun store shelf "my situation" it's better to look somewhere else.

I've had terrible luck with that ammo in 2 Ruger 10/22's and a Smith M&P22. 40gr round nose is the only ammo I buy anymore. Never would've thought it would be hard to find Thunderbolts.

I have shot Thunderbolts in a lot of riffles and handguns and it is had always been good ammo. Some people have had bad experiences with it but not me. That was the first and last time I buy Winchester 22lr ammo.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Winchester ammo has taken a pretty good hit in quality over the last many years.

When you shoot, you can actually hear from the sound of the report that they're loaded very inconsistently because some will sound "regular" and some will be less of a crack and more of a little pop.

Not to mention, will print all over the paper.

I guess that you could say it is consistently inconsistent. ;)

It's hard to explain, but pretty self explanatory when you listen for it.

I have a bunch of that ammo from several years back, but I started buying other brands just because it's so much better. I usually look for Remington subsonics or aguila or wolf subsonics, though they've been pretty hard to find.

i recently bought 3 boxes(555 rounds each) and I too noticed the pop vs crack and i even had 4 or 5 rounds out of the box i tapped into not feed because the bullet was loose enough that as it cycled in, it angled. i dumped the whole box on the bench when i got home. i found 3 more rounds that were already angled and 1 more that i could twist by hand...hopefully the rest(that box and the other 2) cycle ok.

Back