• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winchester target/field 1350fps

Some of y'all may have seen one of my post on making the hot glue rounds on this site.
Anyhow I bought a box of 100 Winchester 2.75" 1350fps "field loads ( 1 oz. 7-8 shot; 3.5 dram equivalent powder),and so on.
To make the Mark II hot glue rounds, there MUST be a decent shoulder on the crimp for the hole saw to do its work properly. Out of 100 shot shells, there were less than 25 that had a crimp that even compared to Federal's offering. Some of the Winchester crimps had the center "proud" of the top of the shell. I would be leery of loading those in tube magazine for fear of crimp hitting the primer. ( Yes I know that the primer takes a good strike to set it off)
I did how ever salvage most of the lot by cutting the crimp off as per the Mark I rounds.
Thanks for letting me rant and get it outta my system......mumble......mumble...............
TJ :mad:

Rant away, Sir. (it really didn't strike me as much of a rant, honestly)

Interesting findings re: the difference between the two brand names.

I was asking more about the hole saw.

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before, but I use a simple sharp knife or razor to trim the shoulder off (cutting the crimp), which I think is the better tool and method than using power tools and hole saws or plunge bits.

I was asking more about the hole saw.

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before, but I use a simple sharp knife or razor to trim the shoulder off (cutting the crimp), which I think is the better tool and method than using power tools and hole saws or plunge bits.
oh......well I guess he likes using a hole saw, different strokes. Looks like you need a good shoulder for the piece of pipe method as well

You just trim the top of the hull at the shoulder and just takes a few seconds to be able to empty the birdshot out.

I just know how my experiences have been with power tools trying to save time. I almost broke my left trigger finger once trying to hold a piece of sheet metal while a drill press was doing it's thing and when the bit was almost through, it snagged the metal on the backside and I thought it was going to take off my whole hand at the wrist.

Not one of my better moments for sure.

That's not exactly the word out of mouth, but Ouch was right.

John A., and all
The reasoning for the hole saw is to leave the factory shoulder and wad position. The Mark 1 hot glue rounds were made cutting off the crimp at the shoulder just as you described. Some of the crew had trouble loading their new pump guns with the sharp 90* shoulder. Keeping the factory shoulder corrected that, resulting in the Mark 2 round along with a weighed shot load at .900 oz. ( I have an older model 500 and didn't have that issue, just did the weighed shot for more consistency.
TJ

I just pull the factory crimp open with a pointy tool and then push it right back into position, when I'm done. Looks like OEM. Take care. Tom Worthington

old mossy I haven't.
I don't have the tool, could you recommend one and where to locate at?

Check with your dentist. They often have a box full of dental picks with a variety of shapes and sizes that they don't need or that are past their useful life for dentistry. Mine gave me about 8 pounds of them a few years ago, and he was glad to be rid of 'em. They come in handy for all kinds of delicate work and are very high grade steel.

Thanks Gunny!
I do have several sets of picks. I used to work with rail equipment that had a butt load of hydraulics, rebuilding and repairing valves and cylinders. u Used the picks when I exchanged 9 #00 pellets for the shot in a batch of 100 rounds. My experience at the range with them was that I'll stick to the glue rounds.
I really must get a roll crimp tool and a hull vise.
TJ

Back