1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Winter survival .

Discussion in 'Survival' started by 46camper, Jul 8, 2020.

1. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

You really know how to rub it in, lol. Actually since I left Omaha 10 years ago winter has not been much of a concern.
    S.R. Crawford likes this.
  2. S.R. Crawford

S.R. Crawford .410

The weather's great but we have a problem with communists here that you probably don't...
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Those folks you mention are not very welcome around here.
    Elbert Garrett and S.R. Crawford like this.
  4. cmcdonald

cmcdonald Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Being from the Great White North...well rainy and sometimes white North I have quite an array of foul weather gear. I have a number of Gore-Tex jackets most of which are big enough to layer up under. Absolute necessity for this country.

Merino wool base layers are a must for mid to late season hunting...but I honestly don’t wear it much at home, not usually cold enough here. If I’m trudging thru the bush in winter I’m usually wearing my Under Armour hunting pants on top. I like them they’re slightly water repellent and very abrasion resistant. I have pull on rain pants if needed.

I have my 400gram thinsulate & Gore-Tex Danner Pronghorns that are the best darn boots I’ve ever owned. I also have a pair of the Baffin Ice Bear work boots (polyurethane) they don’t breath but they’re really warm in crap, cold weather, protect your feet and are generally bullet proof. No good for long hikes though. I’m also breaking in a pair of Merrell insulated snow/hiking boots for late season hunting and snowshoeing. They’re ridiculously warm so have to wait for cold weather again...bought them late last season and only had them out a couple times.

Typically gloves are synthetic for warmth or leather...I use both.

Beanie (we call ‘em toques up here) and a ball cap. Usually have a hoodie under my jacket as part of the layers so hood to go over the hat and head when needed.

Usually carry pocket folder,
    fixed blade knife and multi-tool when out hiking or hunting. In my pack is always a small first aid kit, flashlight, batteries, glow sticks, fire starter, space blanket, rain poncho, paracord, lightweight dry bag, water, snacks, game bags and more depending on the occasion. I usually tie my snowshoes on the outside of my pack if needed.

Firearm...whatever I’m carrying at the time and a small amount of extra ammo. If I’m hunting it would be unusual for me to carry more than about 8-10 rds with me unless I’ve got the 22.

My guess is I’ve forgotten a few things but that’s the most of it.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    meanstreak likes this.